PDA

View Full Version : Missing Depth Adjuster Sargent 415

Brett McCrory
04-16-2009, 9:52 AM
I have a Sargent 415 bench plane that seems to be similar to the early Stanley 5 ½. The later Stanley’s had 2 3/8 blades, but the earlier ones had 2 ¼. My problem is that I’m missing a depth adjuster. It came with one, but it was broken and not even the same gage, so it might as well have come without one.

So, I need a depth adjuster.

Now, My frog is 2 ¼, but it seems like there is a lot of room in there. I think a 2 3/8 frog is wide enough to fit. Highland Woodworking sells a 2 3/8 frog which works for Stanleys. It includes everything including the depth adjuster. I just don’t know if the screw locations would be correct. Do you think this option would work? (As I’m typing this, I’m thinking that I might have a Stanley plane with a 2 3/8 frog, but I'm at work)

Second option, Highland WW also sells a replacement screw kit which includes a depth adjuster. Last night, I took the depth adjusters off a couple Stanley and Millers Falls planes and nothing had a thread size that would work. I’m guessing that replacing the depth adjustment screw on the back of the frog will be problematic since the hole in the frog isn’t the same size as the replacement screw; the Sargent screw is larger. Theoretically, I could probably epoxy a replacement in place. I guess that may be an option.

Third option, buy another plane for parts. I’m not really interested in that option.

This plane is meant to be a user. Everything else about this plane is ready to go. My preference would be to replace the frog as its only about $20 and would be an upgrade. I'm open to other solutions. I appreciate any advice.

Jim Koepke
04-16-2009, 1:37 PM
I would opt for a new frog. Many of the makers used their own machinery to make parts.

I am not quite sure if you are talking about the brass nut for adjusting or some other part.

Parts just do not show up for the Sargents like they do for the Stanleys.

Maybe a machine shop could make the part. I have seen different frogs on different planes and they do not always work very well.

jim

Brett McCrory
04-16-2009, 3:23 PM
Yes, I'm talking about the brass know for adjusting the blade depth.

I'll try a Stanley 2 3/8 frog off another plance before I try buying a new one.