PDA

View Full Version : Tool ID??

Jim Kountz
04-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Ok Ive been in construction and woodworking my whole life and I have never seen anything like this. My sister sent me these asking what they were and I have no clue.
The smaller one says:
#H1386
1" window Reveal-Shell
Lemort Manufacturing, Lombaro, Ill

The larger one has no visible markings on it. They look like some kind of rasp and I assume are for windows or something but thats about it.

Any ideas??

David G Baker
04-16-2009, 1:06 PM
Jim,
I don't know what they are for but there has been many times that I wished I had a rasp with a set up like the ones in the photos. With the hand area where it is pressure can be applied much better than any rasp that I have.

Jim Koepke
04-16-2009, 1:23 PM
They look like floats for working on the channels for wood frame windows. At one time those were made on site as a house was being built.

My dictionary says a reveal is, either side surface of an aperture in a wall for a door or window.

jim

Brian Kent
04-16-2009, 2:51 PM
Jim, they seem familiar. I think it's an up-side down pair of these:

george wilson
04-16-2009, 4:06 PM
Read the handle. It mentions window.

Jim Kountz
04-16-2009, 6:19 PM
Read the handle. It mentions window.

Yeah I got that far George, readin' was a skill I learn't me a long time ago!!:D:D

So now that we know it has something to do with windows anyone know what it does exactly??

george wilson
04-16-2009, 7:09 PM
Oh,yes,I didn't read your post very well!

Hank Knight
04-16-2009, 7:29 PM
Floats or speed rasps like those are used in automobile body work to shape bondo and such. I don't know about those specific ones, but my guess is that they are auto bodywork tools. Or perhaps shaping tools used in the modeling trade.

harry strasil
04-16-2009, 7:41 PM
read the caption below the picture.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=145458&FamilyID=5073

mike holden
04-16-2009, 7:43 PM
Jim,
Those are "vixen" files.
They are used to take down bondo in car bump shops.

The original use for the file was as a scraper file for metal, either in mold making or machinery repair/refurbishment. They came with either a tang, or with straight ends and two screw holes for attaching to a shop made handle.

I have several straight ones (the way they came from the factory) from my patternmaking days, allowed fine adjustments in metal to metal surfaces. I also ruined many shirts with marking blue, alcohol takes it off metal, but detergent just spreads it around. (grin)

Mike

george wilson
04-16-2009, 11:26 PM
Yes,they are lead vixens.But are they for automobile window work? Pattern making? Woodcraft used to sell these for woodwork back in the 60's. I still have some,as I never liked the way they worked on wood.Mine are still as new. They are round faced,and hollow on the back,but no handles.

mike holden
04-17-2009, 10:27 AM
George,
There were three classes of patternmakers in the 70's - the woodies, the plasticians, and the metal mice. Or the woodworkers, the mold makers, and the fixture builders.

I was a fixture builder. Got to work with all the different materials in the shop.

As far as Woodcraft and wood use, well anything with a metal edge will work wood - the question is: "how well?" (grin)

Mike

Bruce Page
04-17-2009, 11:20 AM
George,
There were three classes of patternmakers in the 70's - the woodies, the plasticians, and the metal mice. Or the woodworkers, the mold makers, and the fixture builders.

Mike

As a former “Plastician”, I remember Prussian blue well – it was a mainstay for welcoming new apprentices to the fold. :D
I spent many hours using PB & jeweler files, never used the large curved rasps.