PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Patent dates

Griph0n Brown
04-19-2009, 1:25 AM
Sorry for such a simpleminded question but...(there's always a but).

What exactly do these mean? (and Why are there two on some of my planes and none on others)

I'd love to hear "we need to start at the beginning".

Thanks

David Gendron
04-19-2009, 1:55 AM
I would like to hear to!!

Allan Froehlich
04-19-2009, 2:04 AM
I always thought that the patents owned by Stanley all dated back to the 1800s.

dan sherman
04-19-2009, 3:22 AM
try here for starters

http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/stanley/stan-bpl/bailey-types.htm

scott spencer
04-19-2009, 4:58 AM
The Rex Mill / Type Study (http://rexmill.com/) has some good info and pics.

Jim Koepke
04-19-2009, 7:45 PM
This is by no means a complete list. It only lists patents for the "Bailey" bench planes. It does not cover Bedrock planes nor block planes.

Found on depth adjuster nut:
August 31, 1858 - Cam lever action on the lever cap.
August 6, 1867 - The Bailey blade adjuster mechanism.

Found on cap iron:
December 24, 1867 - Cap iron design.

Found on lateral adjustment lever:
February 8, 1876 - pivoting lateral adjustment lever
October 21, 1884 - lateral adjustment lever
July 24, 1888 - disk on lateral adjustment lever

Found on blade:
April 19, 1892 - changing the slot so the screw head passage hole is at the bottom near the blade's edge.

Found on plane base:
March 25, 1902 - Frog with two step seating.
August 19, 1902 - Raised frog receiver for better strength.
April 19, 1910 - Frog adjustment screw.

As said above, this barely scratches the surface of patents for Stanley/Bailey bench planes. This is only the ones that appear on the "Bailey" bench planes for the years in my accumulation. For instance, there is also a patent for April 19, 1910 that is not know to be produced. It is a mechanism that lifts the plane on the back stroke so as to prevent the premature dulling of blades.

There is a web site with Stanley patent information, but I do not have the link. Maybe someone else has it.

jim

Griph0n Brown
04-20-2009, 12:17 AM
I've seen the identifying sites, thanks for the posts, I really appreciate the info.
Thanks Jim, the specifics are a big help. If anybody remembers that site it'd be great. I'm not looking to identify a plane, more the history.

Jim Koepke
04-20-2009, 1:16 AM
I've seen the identifying sites, thanks for the posts, I really appreciate the info.
Thanks Jim, the specifics are a big help. If anybody remembers that site it'd be great. I'm not looking to identify a plane, more the history.

My source is the John Walter book, Antique & Collectible Stanley Tools. The price has recently dropped from its high for non-signed copies. There is about 50 pages of patent information on all kinds of Stanley tools. There are a dozen type studies mostly covering the different models of planes. There is also historical information on the different tools and the company.

I feel it was $100 well spent. From the different things I have heard, it may be a while before another edition is released if it ever is. Some things make it seem likely there will not be another edition. I see the price all over the place lately. Anywhere from $100 and up. I waited two years to get one at "my price."

A good addition to the reference library.

jim

randy street
04-20-2009, 7:02 AM

I have some here.

LINK (http://www.thestreethouse.com/Shop/Galoot/patents.html)

Regards,

Randy

Jim Koepke
04-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks Randy, that is a great site for research.

If one wants to find more sources, do a search on the patent numbers with the word patent included. There will be a lot of bad hits, but there will also be a few other good sources listed.

jim

Griph0n Brown
04-20-2009, 1:23 PM
Thanks again Randy and Jim.
Really helpful, I really appreciate the response.

Bill Houghton
04-20-2009, 5:17 PM
For instance, there is also a patent for April 19, 1910 that is not know to be produced. It is a mechanism that lifts the plane on the back stroke so as to prevent the premature dulling of blades.

Stanley managed to patent human arms? That's what I use to lift the plane on the back stroke.

Perry Christensen
05-22-2017, 6:47 PM
Thanks for the link. Just what I needed to date two old Stanley planes first used by my grandpa, a cabinet maker, then my dad, and now I am restoring them and will use them in my wood shop.

Jim Koepke
05-22-2017, 8:45 PM
Howdy Perry and welcome to the Creek.

Do you have any pictures of you family planes?

People like me are always curious about what others have in their shops.

jtk