PDA

View Full Version : Auction Loot

George Sanders
04-19-2009, 12:27 PM
I went to an auction yesterday. Picked up some nice Disston saws. All 3 were 26" long. One was 10 tpi n0.2 was 11tpi and the two handed rip was 5 1/2 tpi. I just now tried out the ripper and it is very aggressive. I will be able to resaw with it. The saws cost $12.50. All 3 are clean, sharp and go to go.
After waiting 2 hours for the next tool rack to sell I got the buy of the day in hand tools. A stanley 6C and a #8. They both seem to have over 90% of the jappaning left. The blade on the #8 is a sweetheart and in excellent condition. Both blades do need sharpening.
Next I bought some very rough Stanley series 60 chisels for $3 and then 4, 24" Jorgesen bar clamps for $4 each. I got the other clamps for 1 dollar.
Oh, and the cost of the planes. Would you believe...(I know I should be ashamed)...:rolleyes:...$16 each!

Roy Wall
04-19-2009, 1:19 PM
Wow -- you are set up nicely......those are good tools at great prices!!

Josh Rudolph
04-19-2009, 1:27 PM
Nice grabs! That has to be the cheapest I have ever heard of any clamps at auction going for. The auctions I attend, the clamps bring more than what they cost new!

Where was this auction?

David Gendron
04-19-2009, 1:42 PM
Some of us are luky... Up here where I leave(Yukon, Canada) the chance to find use tools are 0 on 0 and if you manage to find something it would be crazy $$$. Ho well!
Good for you for your find, Look like the top saw is a nice early one!!
David

George Sanders
04-19-2009, 5:21 PM
The sale was near Danville, Illinois. The older saw was made from 1896 to 1917. The other 2 were made between 1940 and 1947. Like I said, they are all good to go.

Bill Houghton
04-19-2009, 6:43 PM
A stanley 6C and a #8....Both blades do need sharpening.

You paid $16 for them, and the blades aren't even sharp?!?!?!? Geez, take them back and demand your money back!

Quite a good deal; you paid $40 less than I paid for my No. 8 over 15 years ago, so that's a major deal.

The Stanley 60 chisels are great carpentry chisels - I've found they'll hold an edge for a long time, even in dry Douglas fir, a wood that's hard on chisels.

Jim Koepke
04-19-2009, 8:10 PM
Good haul!

Went out looking at yard sales yesterday and today. Nothing in the way of wood working. Found a few other items not worth talking about.

jim

Ben Davis
04-19-2009, 10:20 PM
ARGH! You people are making me sick in my quest for a decent quality No. 8. I keep missing the auctions on the bay and there are NO flea markets or auctions houses around where I live.