PDA

View Full Version : What is a reasonable price for a #7

Justin Cavender
04-19-2009, 9:03 PM
I seen an older stanley #7 today at an antique mall for 70 dollars the blade is about gone but other than that it is in great shape other than a nice patina all over it is that a good price? I am realy wanting one but dont want to get ripped off.

Brett McCrory
04-19-2009, 9:32 PM
I seen an older stanley #7 today at an antique mall for 70 dollars the blade is about gone but other than that it is in great shape other than a nice patina all over it is that a good price? I am realy wanting one but dont want to get ripped off.

I've been all over Ebay over the past few weeks. I'd say $70 would be an reasonable price for what you describe. I don't think its a great deal, and I don't think you would be getting ripped off. If I were you, I'd monitor the prices on Ebay for about a week. I'd bet no less than 5 to 10 #7s are sold each day. I think there would be a very good chance that you would find the right price/quality that you're looking for within a week.

Brian Kent
04-19-2009, 9:37 PM
I agree that it is acceptable but not a super deal - if it had a blade or if you know you want a Hock replacement as a separate purchase.

Justin Cavender
04-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Brian how did you flatten the sole on your mujingfang I ordered mine friday and I was wondering if the power jointer would be an appropriate way or is lapping the best bet?

Jim Koepke
04-19-2009, 10:47 PM
It really depends on the shape. If the handles are in good shape and it is fairly free of rust, $70 is not too bad. It would be nicer if it had a good blade. Check it carefully for any damage. Check the sole for flatness and the sides for square if you can. Saving money can often be buying a lot of work. I wonder if they would take less for it, offer $45 to $55 and see if they will counter offer. Being a mall, they may have to make you wait until they can get a hold of who ever has it on display. With today's financial situation, I have been in some antique malls where they have been pre-authorized to lower prices.

I have also found that some people will never negotiate and some will get upset if you offer less than half of what they are asking.

Don't knock the tool, but lament about the blade being almost all gone and wonder how much it may cost to replace it.

Then don't be in a hurry, if they say no to a price cut, be nice, but lament about how you can't afford that kind of money right now. Stop back in a week later and see if there may be any changes.

I recently got a good deal on a #8 at $50. The owner offered that he recently sold one for $80, then he mentioned that he had cleaned that one up. Then he offered the plane at $55, I just kind of had that little boy not going to get a new toy look and he said $50 before I could even ask if he would take $45. He was watching me for a reaction all the time. He held at $50, I told him I would have to ask the wife for a loan because I only had $35 cash. Cash is always better in such a situation. A lot of places will pay the tax. I often know exactly how much is in my wallet. I often hide money in different places in my wallet. It just seems like bad form to bargain someone down and then ask if they will take plastic or if they can break a $100. It is very powerful to reach in your wallet, pull out exactly $55 and do it while naturally holding the wallet so they can see that is all there is, don't flaunt this move, and kind of give the disappointed look of, gee this is all I have. If they haven't made any other sale that day, you may get lucky. If they say they take plastic, wince and say you don't want the wife to find out.

I can be a naughty guy when it comes to trying to save money on a tool. If the price is real good though I will try to restrain myself.

Of course, I do not know your location, so I have no idea of how the rust hunting is in your area. Around here, it seems there is a good mix.

In my recent travels, a rusty #7 with a few other problems was turned down for about $20. Too much work at that price.

A Hock blade will cost in the $40 range.

As Bret said, take a look at items on eBay. There have been a couple of nice #8s going for that kind of money as of late. Check the advanced search, completed listings.

Good luck,

jim

David Gendron
04-20-2009, 12:01 AM
I always keep an eye for planes and I'd say it's a fair price if the tote and nob is in good shape and there is no cracks to the casting including the frog and no pitting. I know that it's alwayse possible to find cheeper but a good price for a used items is the price you are willing to pay, for some people it will be to much and for other it will be a deal!!
David

Brian Kent
04-20-2009, 12:09 AM
Brian how did you flatten the sole on your mujingfang I ordered mine friday and I was wondering if the power jointer would be an appropriate way or is lapping the best bet?

Lapping was just fine. All it needed was a little refinement.

Justin Cavender
04-20-2009, 7:18 AM
Jim the lady that runs the mall said the owner of the plane is in on monday and friday and he will haggle so I will go in today with only a fifty in my pocket and point out the blade and the tiny chip in the lever cap and the tiny chip on the tote and see what I can do. but what makes me want it is it is older than any of my other planes. it has the fully machined frog. and I am just dying for a jointer.

John Keeton
04-20-2009, 7:56 AM
Justin, keep in mind that this was not the only one of those manufactured! Granted, they may be hard to find, and I am certainly no authority on planes. But, generally, one is not in a good position for negotiation when one "has to have it.":D:D

That said, sometimes I have been there.....! You just have to decide how important it is to you - no one else.

Richard Dooling
04-20-2009, 9:30 AM
Keep in mind too that an eBay purchase involves paying for shipping. Some sellers make part of their profit off shipping. Some are very reasonable.

Ben Davis
04-20-2009, 11:11 AM
I've been all over Ebay over the past few weeks. I'd say $70 would be an reasonable price for what you describe. I don't think its a great deal, and I don't think you would be getting ripped off. If I were you, I'd monitor the prices on Ebay for about a week. I'd bet no less than 5 to 10 #7s are sold each day. I think there would be a very good chance that you would find the right price/quality that you're looking for within a week.
I agree with looking to ebay for good ideas. You should also try and date the plane the best you can. There are a number of easy to find resources for doing this. $50 could be a steal for an older plane that's in good shape. Of course we're talking more about collecting than using at this point.

I don't know if 5-10 Stanley No. 7's are sold each day.. maybe 2-3.

David Keller NC
04-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Justin - I'd think about your objective here. Reading between the lines, you just want a freakin' jointer, and you're giving a passing nod to the SMC guys just to make sure you're not getting "taken".

In that sense, a #7 for $70 is perfectly reasonable, and if it's really early (like a type 3 or a type 4), it's a bargain.

Maybe it's just me, (and I'm not exactly rolling in dough), but wasting my time haggling over $20 and run the risk of irritating the owner so that I don't leave with it doesn't make sense. I'd just spend a little time looking it over very carefully for problems (chips at the mouth, broken and repaired tote, stripped tote screw, cracked frog, or a bunch of replaced parts), and if you don't find any, smile at the owner while you're plunking down $70 and walk away with the plane and feel good about it.

After all, is your primary interest woodworking? Or the "art of the deal"? :D

Sean Hughto
04-20-2009, 11:56 AM
If it is in good shape, $70 is a very reasonable price for any 7 of the sweetheart vintage (30's) or before. Are better deals possible? I guess you can luck out, but you are in no way getting cheated at $70. Buy a LN Stanley replacement blade. You'll have a great tool.

Jim Koepke
04-20-2009, 12:17 PM
After all, is your primary interest woodworking? Or the "art of the deal"? :D

Some of us like to do both and then some. :D

I am not sure many collectors would be real interested in a plane that is well used for their own collection. The axiom of collectors, no matter what they collect, is to buy the best that can be afforded.

Most users would not want a type 3. The frog set up was weak, was not adjustable and would often break. Type 4 and likely other pre-lateral large planes have their totes a little more forward compared to the later planes. This gives them a nicer balance for user planes. The tote position was changed a little to make room for the lateral adjuster.

jim

Sean Hughto
04-20-2009, 12:24 PM
I am not sure many collectors would be real interested in a plane that is well used for their own collection.

As a user, I've found that some of my best vintage Stanleys were those that showed some significant use (not abuse mind you). It's a sign that another craftsman could use the tool effectively, and therefore, made regular use of it. You kind of know it wasn't a lemon if it's been driven 100,000 miles. Good thing is, these planes can easily go another 100,000 or two.

To the OP: that short blade could be a good sign.

Jim Koepke
04-20-2009, 12:44 PM
As a user, I've found that some of my best vintage Stanleys were those that showed some significant use (not abuse mind you). It's a sign that another craftsman could use the tool effectively, and therefore, made regular use of it. You kind of know it wasn't a lemon if it's been driven 100,000 miles. Good thing is, these planes can easily go another 100,000 or two.

To the OP: that short blade could be a good sign.

I agree with this. An old plane in great condition might be because the original owner couldn't get it to work.

A hundred years ago, people were less likely to plunk down hard earned money to buy a tool to trim a sticking door then set it on a shelf for the next hundred years.

jim

Justin Cavender
04-25-2009, 10:14 PM
I talked to the owner of the plane today and haggled down the price to 60 I will pick it up tomorow after church I will post pics.