PDA

View Full Version : New handle for a tang gouge

Sean Hughto
04-19-2009, 10:20 PM
I needed a shallow gouge, so ordered a Henry Taylor from Lee Valley. The steel seems fine, but the handle was a mess - mounted crooked; cracked and reparired at the factory; loose ferrule, and poor shape and finish. Lee Valley said they would have been glad to take it back, but I decided to just make a replacement. I know this is no big feat, but I thought I'd mention the possibility for the benefit of SMC neo-neanders that don't know what a deal might be had at flea markets and tools show, eBay etc. if you're able to make your own for tangs that lost their wood. I have no lathe, by the way, so any symmetry is accidental! Just used rasps and a bit of copper pipe for the ferrule. As I have no plans to hit this one (it will see service paring wedged tenons on chairs), it is shaped for paring rather than driving.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3543/3457955904_2df9787ce3.jpg

Bill Houghton
04-19-2009, 11:37 PM
I see surprisingly few tanged chisels around here - socket chisels predominate, except in carving chisels (which are pretty rare).

David Gendron
04-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Realy nice work! It sure look better than the original!
thank you for that post, not every body know that it's possible to shap handles with out a lathe.
David