PDA

View Full Version : Proposed chariot type plane

george wilson
04-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Here is a sketch of what I might make several of. Sort of a cut away view. No polishing,but all machining done,throats cut,and shape accurately profiled out,with cross bar installed,01 iron,and rosewood or maybe ebony infill. Must run now. This is something I might not get to for some time.1 1/2" total width,1 1/4" iron,3 1/8" long brass body,made of 1/8" thick brass. Maybe this is breaking the rules?

Brian Kent
04-21-2009, 12:26 AM
Breaking the rules? Let's hope so. It's going to be beautiful.

David Gendron
04-21-2009, 1:01 AM
I like breaking rules:D... This look promissing:)
!!

Danny Thompson
04-21-2009, 4:02 AM
Beautiful concept. Would the wedge be radiused across its width or straight?

george wilson
04-21-2009, 8:53 AM
Al of the wood stuffing would be radiused,including the wedge. I'd also have the wood sticking out the rear end of the plane be radiused,which would make it more comfortable to push the plane.I need to add these radii to the sketch.Right now,I am really down with a miserable cold.

george wilson
04-21-2009, 8:59 AM
Feel free to use the design if you wish. And,put up pictures of it.BUT,if you use it,get it right,please!!

Richard Dooling
04-21-2009, 9:49 AM
There are rules?

george wilson
04-21-2009, 10:46 AM
I think there is a rule about advertising your own things for sale.I don't know what to do,as folks keep asking if I sell tools.

I don't know if I'll ever get around to making even these small planes for sale,so this isn't really a commercial for my tools. It's more of an answer to the question"do I ever sell my tools?"

Richard Dooling
04-21-2009, 11:17 AM
George,

Sorry I thought you meant design rules. I don't know how the moderators will view this. If you are hand crafting something on a small scale it doesn't seem the same as "manufacturing."

BTW I haven't chimed in on a lot of your post with pictures of your work 'cause my jaw keeps hitting the keyboard when it drops. Even my wife knows who you are now!

Jim Koepke
04-21-2009, 12:02 PM
I am not a moderator on this forum, so this is just my opinion.

When it comes time to sell these, it would likely be best to list all the information in the classifieds.

It would likely be OK within the rules to post a message in Neanderthal Haven showing the picture of the planes and mentioning anyone with an interest in acquisition should look for your post in the classifieds. It would likely have to be a different image than posted in the classifieds unless it is given a different name. My attempts at posting the same image more than once have been blocked by software.

Hopefully a moderator will provide an answer which may address this with more accuracy.

jim

Dave Anderson NH
04-21-2009, 1:24 PM
Posts of any type offering to sell tools, parts, etc are allowed only by contributors and only in the Classifieds section of Sawmill Creek. Commerial posts are not allowed except by those who have their own forum ad it must be done within that forum. If someone makes an inquiry to a person posting about whether or not they sell tools and how to buy etc, this must be handled by either email or PM.

As an example, I have my own toolmaking business and am very careful not to even vaguely and subtly try to drive business to my website or solicit sales. I figure that as a moderator I have to set an example. This is not to say that I or anyone else can't post pictures of our work, but that posts judged to be thinly veiled attempts to circumvent the rules will be deleted. SMC attempts to be fair about these things, but it is always a matter of judgement.

I hope that things will be clearer when we finally get the new Terms of Service posted. The new version removes some of the ambiguity and vagueness of the current version.

george wilson
04-21-2009, 4:44 PM
Don't think I am trying to solicit business,anyone. I am trying to get my obligations out of the way so I can get back into making some of the things I want to make.

I have too many physical problems to ever want to manufacture anything.Actually,I have never liked to make multiples of anything,though that was part of my job for a long time. My guitars and tools I make for pleasure are always designed from the ground up. That precludes them from being in a realistic price category for working woodworkers.

If I ever saw out a few of these little planes,I'll put them in classifieds. Don't expect them any time soon,though.

Steve Pirrelli
04-21-2009, 6:16 PM
Looking forward to seeing the finished plane.

Dave Anderson NH
04-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Hi George, I was in no way criticising you. I was asked for an explanation of the rules and just chimed in as requested.

Best regards,

Dave

george wilson
04-22-2009, 12:52 PM
I didn't take it that way,Dave.I was afraid I was breaking the rules anyway.

David Gendron
04-22-2009, 1:38 PM
I guess I should have not ask George if he was ever saling some of the stuff he makes on this forum....
My appologie!
David

David Keller NC
04-22-2009, 5:05 PM
George - I of course do not have any role in the administration of the forum, but I'll note as a casual user that there are lots of posts of "look what I made" or "here's a tote for saws I want to make - comments?", and to my eye, there's nothing wrong with that.

Your original post started out "Here is a sketch of what I might make several of", and you solicited comments. That's about as clearly along the lines of "here's a design for a XXX tool I want to make - comments?" as it gets.

What subsequently happens to the tool/design (i.e., it gets incorporated into something for sale) is irrelevant, IMO.

george wilson
04-22-2009, 5:16 PM
Don't be concerned about it David,I'm not. I really am not in need of work,and have some commitments I need to get out of the way before I can even do what I would like to do. Now that I'm retired,what I'd really like to do is not take orders at all.Just make whatever I feel like making,and then,if I want to sell it,just put it out there for sale. That way I'm free to play around with designs. I think that the designing of objects is where the most fun is. Most of my private toolmaking has been done on that basis. I've had some pet customers,and when I made something,one of them always wanted it.

Dave Anderson NH
04-23-2009, 12:37 PM
I would encourage all folks here to post both furniture and tools for comment, criticism, questions, and other types of feedback. That is what this forum is about, proudly showing off our work, helping each other, and solving probems. While there is a separate forum for design, my interpretation would be that it is for furniture and carpentry, not hand tool designs. tool designs to my mind are right where they belong, here on the Neanderthal forum.