PDA

View Full Version : Joinery inventory

Matt Hankins
04-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Hey all,
I found this today and thought it would interest everyone. Maybe a guide to how we should all outfit our shops. :)

http://wiki.monticello.org/mediawiki/index.php/Joinery

I recognize most of the things on the list, despite the spellings, however does anyone know what a "cut and thrust" refers to? Usually inventories such as these are conducted as the inventory taker walks through the space and items that are grouped or stored together are listed together. This leads me to believe that the above item is related to or part of the grooving planes. Any other ideas.

Matt

David Gendron
04-21-2009, 12:49 PM
it would be nice to have all those planes... It is realy hard to find a good set of howlo and round! realy nice list!

Pedro Reyes
04-21-2009, 1:02 PM
Nice list. Looks like a jointer's list more than a cabinetmaker's, but what do I know.

Speaking of H&R sets, has anyone bought a set from Tony in the UK? I have ordered a couple of things (a Record #50, mortice chisels, and 3 dado planes) ranked in the order shown from very satisfied to just satisfied. They have a sets of Harlequin as well as double Harlequin, so I was wondering if anyone has tried them, I would go with the Harlequin not double, just me.

/p

David Keller NC
04-21-2009, 3:51 PM
Gentlemen - Andy Hsiegh (hope I'm spelling that right) had a set of harlequin H&Rs in the classifieds section of this forum that remained unsold - and he was not asking much for them. Worth another look if you need a set of H&Rs

Zach Dillinger
03-01-2011, 8:57 PM
Hey all,
I found this today and thought it would interest everyone. Maybe a guide to how we should all outfit our shops. :)

http://wiki.monticello.org/mediawiki/index.php/Joinery

I recognize most of the things on the list, despite the spellings, however does anyone know what a "cut and thrust" refers to? Usually inventories such as these are conducted as the inventory taker walks through the space and items that are grouped or stored together are listed together. This leads me to believe that the above item is related to or part of the grooving planes. Any other ideas.

Matt

I recognize that this is quite old, but a "cut and thrust" plane is a dado plane.

Matt Hankins
03-02-2011, 6:56 AM
Thanks, Zach. Better late than never, right?

Matt