PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying a stanley plane

Jim R Edwards
04-22-2009, 12:25 AM
I recently purchased a stanley #5 and I am trying to figure out what type it is. I want to say its a type 6 but it doesnt quite match up to what I have found on the internet. The body measures 13 1/2 inches instead of 14. I placed my type 13 next to it for comparision. The brass wheel does not have any patent dates and turns the oppostie direction as my type 13 plane. The lever has three patent dates on it. The chip breaker does not have any patent dates. I have a type 6 #4 and the casting is thin compared to my #5. My #5 has a O in the tote receiver. Any help will be appreciated.

George Sanders
04-22-2009, 6:17 AM
WWW.tooltrip.com lists a Stanley plane type study. Personally, I only own two types of planes. Users and non-users.

John Keeton
04-22-2009, 6:30 AM
Jim, you neglected to say you were new to the creek! Welcome.

I am of no help at all, and in fact, will be posting a similar post on a #3 that I got on the bay as soon as it arrives.

Nonetheless, regardless of which type, it sure is a nice looking plane in good condition. I am kind of with George on this as I don't collect. If it works for you, it is a "great type."

Greg Crawford
04-22-2009, 8:00 AM
According to this chart;

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/9147/flowchart.html

it appears to be a type 7.

Patrick Leach's page says that style of frog was made between 1888 and 1902, which could make it a 6, 7 or 8.

No matter what type, it's in great shape for being over 100 years old. I hope I look that good when I'm 100!

Jim R Edwards
04-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the information. I was out messing around with it today and it works really well. I have to admit that I like my type 13 #5 better even though it has a high knob.

Jim Koepke
04-23-2009, 3:23 AM
I am curious, the underside of the frog is not shown. Is there a pimple on the frog near where the bottom is close to the mouth?

The O under the tote adds a little mystery to the equation. But there is a pimple there. I will have to look at the plane I have from this period to see if it has an O under the tote. It has the same pimple.

The pimple on the back of the lever cap and under the tote point to a type 6a.

What is curious is the threading on the adjuster. I have one similar to this, but it has the left hand threading of the later types.

This was probably a transition in the types between the type 6 and type 7. The main difference during this period until the 1902 patent dates is the change to the depth adjuster threading and the foundry casting marks on the body, lever cap and frog.

jim

Jim R Edwards
04-23-2009, 6:11 AM
yes there is a pimple. I have a type 6 (or at least I think it is!) #4 and the frog is the same. My #4 has the patent dates on the brass adjuster but it turns the same way as my #5. My #5 does not have any patent dates on the adjuster. The O in the tote threw me off too. I have not found any information about that. Also I just noticed that the fork on the back of the frog has what appears to be a backwards S stamped on it. Ill post more pictures tonight.

Jim Koepke
04-23-2009, 11:20 AM
yes there is a pimple. I have a type 6 (or at least I think it is!) #4 and the frog is the same. My #4 has the patent dates on the brass adjuster but it turns the same way as my #5. My #5 does not have any patent dates on the adjuster. The O in the tote threw me off too. I have not found any information about that. Also I just noticed that the fork on the back of the frog has what appears to be a backwards S stamped on it. Ill post more pictures tonight.

I guess my confusion comes from your having two #5s. For me, it is easier to call the threads left hand or right hand or turning to the left lowers the blade (early types) or turning to the left raises the blade (later type adjusters).

The length of the planes varied a bit from time to time. Here is a snip from one of the type studies about the type 7 bench planes:

• Most examples have the letter "S" cast into the frog, lever cap, and/or bed. This is likely the mark of the Sessions Foundry, who contracted with Stanley to produce their castings.

That could explain the S on the adjuster fork.

This raises a question about Stanley procurement procedures. Did Stanley require different foundries to submit "first articles" before production was to begin then use these parts in regular production.

My guess is your plane was "assembled" in 1892 - 1893 when changes in suppliers for castings was taking place along with changing the adjuster threading.

My recently purchased #8 falls into this time period. The thing that is strange, is the frog does not have a pimple yet all the other parts do. The threading for the adjuster is left handed and there are not patent dates on the lateral lever. Knowing how things are made, it there were an endless supply of planes to examine from this period, my curiosity would be directed at the stamping on the lateral levers to see if the stampings were done in one operation of if the dates were stamped separate from the Stanley name. My suspicion is that they were stamped in separate operations. At least for some of them.

Then of course, there is the common caveat about Stanley being in the business of making tools for a profit without realizing there would be a lot of us in the future trying to figure out when the tool was made and all the nuances involved with their manufacturing.

jim