PDA

View Full Version : Neander Satisfaction

John Schreiber
04-22-2009, 8:54 AM
Badly Warped Board :mad:

Hatchet => Push Knife => Scrub Plane => Jointer

Straight Board :D

I know it doesn't count if I don't have pictures, but if I took a picture now, it would just be of a straight board. I had some SYP that had warped more than 1" over 6' in the width dimension. I want to build a shaving horse and I'm not particular about it looking like furniture, so I decided to make it straight.

Hatchet got to within 1/8" to 1/4" of the chalk line. Push knife got it mostly to the edge of the chalk, but uneven. Scrub evened it all out. Jointer flattened right to the line. Ahhhhh!

Holding the board for the hatchet was a little awkward. I couldn't find a good way to clamp it to a bench and still be able to use my right hand for a good swing with clear follow through. Ideas? I could have used my circular saw, but it wouldn't have been as much fun and I was worried about binding in the badly warped board.

Now I'll watch it for a while to see if it warps some more.

Brian Kent
04-22-2009, 9:58 AM
Who needs a bench when you have legs. Just sit down, put the board between your legs and hatchet:eek: away!

Danny Thompson
04-22-2009, 1:49 PM
Push knife?

John Schreiber
04-22-2009, 2:35 PM
Push knife?
Push Knife.
http://www.ragweedforge.com/220.jpg

It's almost at the bottom of this page (http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html).

I use it mostly for carving. I can remove a lot of material quickly from multiple angles with plenty of control. A drawknife would be better for this purpose, but I haven't got one of those.

Scott Wigginton
04-22-2009, 2:38 PM
Who needs a bench when you have legs. Just sit down, put the board between your legs and hatchet away!

You can make great time that way! :D

http://a.espncdn.com/winnercomm/outdoors/timbersports/College_West_09/V_WesternConclave-9.jpg

Or end up needing to alter half of each pair of pants you own :eek:

Mark Roderick
04-22-2009, 3:21 PM
If I had to remove that much waste, I'd remove most of it with a bandsaw, then finish with the jointer plane.

David Keller NC
04-22-2009, 4:59 PM
"Holding the board for the hatchet was a little awkward. I couldn't find a good way to clamp it to a bench and still be able to use my right hand for a good swing with clear follow through. Ideas?"

Generally speaking, hatchet work should be done on a chopping stump. The stump should be about 2/3rds the height of your knee One simply holds the work in the left hand, forcing it into the end-grain of the stump, and then passes down the edge with the hatchet in your right hand (the operation, by the way, is called "listing").

John Schreiber
04-23-2009, 1:54 PM
Generally speaking, hatchet work should be done on a chopping stump. The stump should be about 2/3rds the height of your knee One simply holds the work in the left hand, forcing it into the end-grain of the stump, and then passes down the edge with the hatchet in your right hand (the operation, by the way, is called "listing").
Sounds good. I've used real stumps out in the woods that way, but I've never thought of having one in my shop. If I'm going to work with a hatchet, perhaps I should.

What would I look for in a stump? Does it have to be a stump, or would a section of a tree work? Can I just put one on my concrete floor, or will it jump around?

Let the chips: fly - and fall where they may - right off the old block.

Jim Koepke
04-23-2009, 2:12 PM
Around here, any section of the tree is used. Our firewood pile has a lot of alder and hemlock fir rounds. One of them is just rolled to where ever it is needed and put to work.

Not sure if it was Harry Strasil that posted a picture of one with holes for a hold fast and a vice. It is not real hard to set one up as an outdoor bench.

jim

David Keller NC
04-23-2009, 5:42 PM
"What would I look for in a stump? Does it have to be a stump, or would a section of a tree work? Can I just put one on my concrete floor, or will it jump around?"

Ideally, something unsplittable would be your chopping block - a hunk of hickory or white oak would do the trick. Failing that, you can chainsaw your own stump that has a fork in it - firewood splitters among us recognize that this is also something that will never split without hydraulics, regardless of the species.

Generally speaking, I don't have trouble keeping the stump in one place, but mine weighs about 100 lbs.

You can see one of these on the Woodwright's Shop episodes - Roy's got several of them scattered about the shop.

Jim Koepke
04-23-2009, 6:21 PM
Good hunks of trunk come in handy for sitting on or setting down one's work.

jim