PDA

View Full Version : Half Sharpened Saw

Jim Koepke
04-23-2009, 6:40 PM
You may wonder how a saw can only be half sharpened...

This one actually has two sets of teeth. Both sets were in pretty bad shape. The smaller teeth were joined down before the saw came into my possession. So, new teeth were cut and then filed for crosscut. Not a perfect job, but heck, I'm still learning. It does cut fairly well and straight.

Used some old saw nuts to provide the missing part that holds the slot in the back so it doesn't flop around. Only cleaned it a little. My feeling is the cleaning can always be done later but once it is done, it is difficult to undo the cleaning.

The medallion was chosen not only because it was the right size, but it also has a little unicorn on it and the Bishop etching has a unicorn. I don't think there is any other connection between the medallion and the saw.

Also note, the medallion is fastened inside the saw and does not come all the way through.

jim

jim

Brian Kent
04-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Looks like somebody had half a mind to do some saw sharpening!

David White II
04-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Is that a third set of teeth on the far end, or do those go with one of the sides? What would you use them for?

Jim Koepke
04-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Is that a third set of teeth on the far end, or do those go with one of the sides? What would you use them for?

The teeth on the far end had me when first acquiring this saw. Later found out they are to trap it in the back. Notice the blade can be adjusted up and down in the back for the depth setting. Also, each set of teeth could be set equal distances and then it would just be a quick flip of the blade and back to change from crosscut to rip cut or fine teeth to coarse teeth.

There is some non metallic material in the end of the back at the end where the teeth can "bite" in.

jim

Julian Nicks
04-24-2009, 8:51 AM
Did you buy that saw from meekers patented antiques online? I saw a backsaw just like that one on their site.

Jim Koepke
04-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Did you buy that saw from meekers patented antiques online? I saw a backsaw just like that one on their site.

No, this was actually bought at an antiques mall in Kalama Washington for $35. My feeling at the time was that it was a bit pricey, but it looked like a fun project and Bishop saws have a good reputation.

Since then, my looking around indicates the price may have been a very good deal.

It cuts pretty nice now, surely as my saw sharpening skills improve, it will cut even better.

jim

Rob Luter
04-24-2009, 12:56 PM
I paid $3 for mine (Gloat!)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=106129

Jim Koepke
04-24-2009, 12:57 PM
meekers patented antiques

Just looked at their offering, $25, not a bad price. The description says the handle is cracked. The picture indicates the second nut may be a replacement that comes through the handle. My handle was not drilled all the way through and I did not want to make any changes. Other information I have found indicates only one through hole on the original handles. I did adapt another item to do the work of the original. If the original piece is ever found, then this could be replaced. They way the saw is made, my speculation is the tightening lever held the second nut from falling out. When the worker wanted to change the saw's configuration, this piece may have fallen out unnoticed. Also, if the lever was in any position other than covering the second stud it could have fallen out in use. By the time the loss was discovered, the little piece was likely long gone.

Of course, this is all speculation as I do not have access to an original saw or a source of information to determine how it was done back then.

jim