PDA

View Full Version : Protecting Small Chisels

Jerry Murray
04-24-2009, 1:54 PM
I have started to accumulate some very smll chisels and carving tools. I just got a roll for my larger chisels...so how can I protect the tips of my small chisels?

I don't know if storing them in the roll will work out for the best...what do you use to store sharp small tools?

Bruce Page
04-24-2009, 2:10 PM
Jerry, I have the same question. I just received several very nice BS chisels and I need to figure out hot to safely store them. I don’t care for the tool roll option, and I don’t have wall space for a tool sill.

I’d like to fit them into an empty drawer in my bench; does anyone have pics of how the did it?

David Gendron
04-24-2009, 2:32 PM
What about making a smal box, I saw one in one of the wooworking magazin, I will look for it and get back to you...

David Gendron
04-24-2009, 2:35 PM
So the article is in the autumn of 2004 page 28 of Wooworking magazine! Have a look, I think it wouldbe a nice little project!
david

Jerry Murray
04-24-2009, 2:35 PM
What about making a smal box, I saw one in one of the wooworking magazin, I will look for it and get back to you...

That might be the best option. I have some cigar boxes that my do in the interim. I was also thinking about maybe heading to the office supply store and buying some erasers. I can cut them up and just jab them onto the ends of the chisels.

glenn bradley
04-24-2009, 2:39 PM
I don't know how many you have but maybe something like this with some veneer glued to the mag-bar for looks/protection.

David Gendron
04-24-2009, 3:10 PM
Also what work great for small sharp tool tips is sintetic coark!

Jeff Wittrock
04-24-2009, 3:23 PM
I haven't done it myself, but wondering if various diameters of clear tubing you can pick up at a hardware store would work. I don't know the material (I just call it fish pump tubing :confused:). It is fairly flexible, so you can squeeze it to make a chisels rectangular cross section fit into an otherwise round tube, and it when it tries to return round, it holds it onto the chisel.

Jeff

Garet Nenninger
04-24-2009, 4:24 PM
I have tried both synthetic wine corks (for my homemade 1/16 to 3/16-inch chisels) and thick vinyl tubing (for a store-bought 1/2" chisel). Both seem to work just fine, though for small chisels, the cork gives you something bigger to hold on to as you cover the blade.

Jerry Murray
04-24-2009, 4:50 PM
Cork?

I'll have to have the wife get busy on some wine :D

Hank Knight
04-24-2009, 5:43 PM
Lie-Nielsen used to ship their chisles with a heavy flexible black plastic sleeve on the blades to protect the edges. The sleeve was about 3" long and came in several sizes for 1/4" to 3/4" blades. They quit using them and started dipping their chisels in some kind of temporary waxy stuff, but they had a bunch of the black sleeves left over. They were selling them for not much (maybe 50 cents each - I don't remember) at the LN store in Warren ME and I bought several. I asked for more and they sent me a couple dozen with my next order. I don't think they even charged me for them. I use them on all my chisels. You might call and see it they have any left. They're great and would be perfect for your small chisels.

Hank

george wilson
04-24-2009, 6:19 PM
I guess you've considered that some erasers might have some fine abrasive in them?

Jerry Murray
04-24-2009, 6:22 PM
Hank..I have some of the "larger" black plastic tips. However, the chisels I'm talking about have from a 1.5mm to 3/16" tip.

I'm sure that the ersaser will have some abrasive qualities, and I can always 'touch them up' I just don't want them to get banged around or anything like that.

george wilson
04-24-2009, 6:48 PM
You could use art gum,or as David suggested,corks. Art gum might fall apart soon.

Pam Niedermayer
04-24-2009, 8:11 PM
Folded over and stapled cardboard does it with at expense. i like corks for the bigger chisels. But I store most of my chisels in small drawers lined with various stuff, mostly that router pad material so they don't roll around.

Pam

Doug Shepard
04-24-2009, 8:42 PM
I dont recall whose bench I saw this on, but I've seen somebody use a block of the stuff that florists uses to stick flower stems into. They just had a dozen or so small carving tools stuck into the block on top of their bench.

Jerry Murray
04-25-2009, 9:38 AM
I dont recall whose bench I saw this on, but I've seen somebody use a block of the stuff that florists uses to stick flower stems into. They just had a dozen or so small carving tools stuck into the block on top of their bench.

excellent..I have a bunch of that stuff for cigars...

Harry Goodwin
04-25-2009, 9:46 AM
I use a block of styrafoam (sp) glued on a piece of plywood with scrap wood sides in box shape. All carving tools stand at the ready. Replacement is easy. Just stick them in. Harry

Jeff Willard
04-25-2009, 10:30 AM
I can't presently recall the name, but there is a liquid plastic coating available, that I have used in the past. I found it at the Borg some years ago. Simple process- 1) Goop up the business end of the tool with vaseline. 2) Dip in the plastic. 3)Hang up, allow to dry. 4) Repeat until desired thickness is built up.
It is fairly flexible, and when done, you have a sheath in the exact profile of the tool. Plenty durable too.

harry strasil
04-25-2009, 8:23 PM
Heat Shrink Tubing, it comes in all sizes, and you heat it just enough with a disposable lighter to form around the end, and the end not on the tool gets smaller, just slip off and back on when done with it.

For my regular chisels I cut pieces of the soft leather from the gaunlet part of old Welders Gloves and stitch up the sides so its fairly tight.

Jerry Murray
04-27-2009, 7:18 AM
excellent..I have a bunch of that stuff for cigars...

I tried this stuff over the weekend...doesn't work too good. I'll keep searching.