PDA

View Full Version : new tools...

David Gendron
04-24-2009, 10:47 PM
Good evening creekers,

Today I just got some new tools from TFWW... I benefited from there sale ending at the end of the month! I bought a Gramecy dovetail saw to replace my LN saws, the tote is slimer than the LN but there is more space inbetween the top and bottom horn so way mor comfortable for my big hand...And you what they say about big hands:rolleyes:... big tote! I also got a pair of hold fast and at that price even if I like my Koonz one, the Gramercy are hard to beet! what else, Ha oui, a modeler rasp and a paire of draw bore pins from Ray Ilse, real draw bore pins(excentric shaft!) that's it.
And no pictures cause I dont have a clue how to take them from my desk top to the tread:( Sorry!
David

Jim Koepke
04-25-2009, 2:29 AM
And no pictures cause I dont have a clue how to take them from my desk top to the tread Sorry!

Above the box where text is entered are a bunch of little symbols. In about the middle is a paper clip looking one. Click on that and it will open a dialog box that will let you choose two images to upload. After they are uploaded, it will let you do two more, then one more for a total of five in one post.

The images do not have to be shrunk or anything. The software running the site has been upgraded to do it for us.

I usually save the images to a folder where I know where to find them before uploading them.

For me, resting my cursor on one of the symbols usually brings up a little box telling what the symbol does. Your system may or may not do this, then like me, you may or may not know what some of them mean. What the heck does "Wrap (PHP) tags around selected text" mean anyway. I guess if I wanted to do it, I would know what it meant.

jim

Eric Brown
04-25-2009, 6:10 AM
I have some of what you just got (saw and drawbore pins) and am happy with them except for one little detail. The drawbore pins have round handles and tend to roll. I suggest you drill a 5/16" mortice/tendon joint and determine where the eccentric part is. Then flatten one or two of the handle sides so that when you pick it up you know it's orientation. The Ray Illes English mortice chisels work nicely because of this feature.

Best wishes. Eric

Joel Moskowitz
04-25-2009, 7:47 AM
I have some of what you just got (saw and drawbore pins) and am happy with them except for one little detail. The drawbore pins have round handles and tend to roll. I suggest you drill a 5/16" mortice/tendon joint and determine where the eccentric part is. Then flatten one or two of the handle sides so that when you pick it up you know it's orientation. The Ray Illes English mortice chisels work nicely because of this feature.

Best wishes. Eric

I'm going to suggest you don't do this. One wonderful thing about round handles is that once you reallylock in the mortise your hands will slip - basically controloing the pressure so that you don't distort the holes. and I use them is just by wiggling them around until the bed - although if you do find having a mark there the offset is useful I would suggest just using marker or stamp.

Julian Nicks
04-25-2009, 10:21 AM
I ordered some things from tfww last week, and they forgot to ship out the most important part of the order. The 4" files for cutting teeth.... They supposedly shipped it out on Monday, but it has yet to arrive... It sucks because I paid for the express shipping, and they sent it out via snail mail. Maybe I'm the exception but it still sucks, being dead in the water with a backsaw that has no teeth....

Joel Moskowitz
04-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Julian,
I'll look into this on monday and while I can't shift time travel I'll see what else we can do.
Sorry for the error.
joel

David Gendron
04-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Thank you Jim, I will try that today and post (try to) some picture of my shop, projects and tools I use!

David Gendron
04-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Joel, I'm realy happy with the saw, people say that I have huge hands and even with a slime body(not me but the tote on the saw...) so far it's the best fitting tote I have other than my Medalion tool saw(a half bach saw with custom size tote!) and it is realy natural to use!
David

Julian Nicks
04-25-2009, 1:43 PM
Thank you Joel.

Eric Brown
04-25-2009, 2:28 PM
I wasn't suggesting a large flat, just enought to stop it from rolling. I actually put on one slight flat and a small "thumb dip" to help with the alignment. One other thing, the OP said he had large hands, I'm exactly the opposite, very small thin hands (size 8). I'm probably not as strong as many others with my hand grip so a little help sometimes is needed.

PS: Thanks for supplying good tools.

Eric.

Mike Henderson
04-25-2009, 2:39 PM
Good evening creekers,

Today I just got some new tools from TFWW... I benefited from their sale ending at the end of the month!
David
What's this sale? I was thinking of getting some stuff from TFWW. That might push me over.

Mike

David Gendron
04-25-2009, 2:44 PM
Mike, the sale is for there 10th aniversery and if you go on there wedb site, you will find out the items that qualify... You better get there soon case the sale end at the end of this month.
If you need a few suggestions let me know, I'm sure I can help spend your money;)

Mike Henderson
04-25-2009, 11:25 PM
Thanks. I checked. The stuff I want to get is not on sale.:(

Mike