PDA

View Full Version : Gift from Rob Lee

Ian Coop
04-25-2009, 12:27 AM
Evening, a while back I posted my experience using the Veritas side rabbet plane to make some raised panel doors. During the exchange of information it was mentioned that due to the size of the metal arms that came with the plane, I was limited to the width of the bevels on the raised panels. The addition of an angled subfence made the bevels possible but because of the length of the fence arms, you could not utilise the full width of the iron - about 1 1/2 inches.

Well Rob Lee sent me an email requesting my address. A few days went by and lo and behold - longer arms for the fence on my skew rabbet plane. Well, I was blown away by the customer service. Mr. Lee is certainly a gentleman.

I had to use up some scraps of oak sitting around the shop, so I made a bedside table for my eldest son in an Arts and Crafts design with wedged through tenons and the like. I wanted to bevel the underside of the table top and used the new longer arms on the rabbet plane instead of a tablesaw.

The skew plane was set to take a moderate bite of wood and the process was so fast I could hardly believe it. About twenty minutes or so with the skew rabbet plane and a little work with a block plane and it was done. Done twice actually as I started out using an 8 degree subfence then switched to a 10 degree one.

Anyway, I can't imagine it would have been faster and certainly not easier to use a tablesaw.

My thanks again to Mr. Rob Lee for the gift. I use the rabbet plane far more than I had imagined I would. Now to save up for the left handed version...

Ian Cooper

Ian Coop
04-25-2009, 12:29 AM
Some more pictures of the process.

Ian

Ian Coop
04-25-2009, 12:31 AM
Last couple.

David Gendron
04-25-2009, 12:59 AM
realy nice of him, So far I always had great service from them and on top of it they are Canadien!!!
Nice table, I'm actualy finishing one that is similar.
David

Mike Cutler
04-25-2009, 6:19 AM
Ian

Nice table. Simple lines and done beautifully. The contrast of the drawer worked out very well.

Kudos to LV for the customer service. I wonder though,were the additional parts a normal stock item, or did Rob realize that you had a need that others would have and met it? Regardless, it was great customer service on LV's part.

Once again, nice table. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Barry Rowland
04-25-2009, 7:23 AM
The 6" longer rods are available as an accessory on their site for 10.00.

When I ordered my rabbit plane I also ordered the longer arms anticipating
the need for them for full reach.

Hmmm maybe I should have posted my experiences also and gotten my accessory rods for free!

Very nice work on the table, I really like the through tenons!

Rob Lee
04-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Hi Ian -

I have to say that you're the generous one - you took the time to document and share your experiences.... all we did was listen....it was very strightforward to produce the longer rods...

Other people will benefit from your taCg the time to post - so it was only fitting that you were sent some rods...

Cheers -

Rob
(back to listening again.... :) )

Bill McDermott
04-28-2009, 12:05 AM
I had the chance to test drive the Veritas Skew Rabbet and the Small Plow planes at the Berea show last Fall. My current project begged for them and got its way. They arrived a couple weeks ago. I too am impressed with the speed and accuracy with which they work. A pleasure to use.

The real reason I posted is to say how totally amazed I was at the factory lapping of the irons. Seriously, it only took about two minutes to get a glistening mirror on the back of each dead flat blades. I was all geared up to be diligent and take all the time needed to get it done right the first time. Turns out I got it done in no time at all. L-V made the effort to it right the first time in the plant.

The company service is wonderful, but the quality of the tool is also very noteworthy. They cut great!