PDA

View Full Version : Get while the Getting is Good

Jim Koepke
04-25-2009, 1:48 PM
This may seem a bit obscure, but it does have relevance to neanders.

Geocities on Yahoo is scheduled to be shut down. One of my favorite sites with information on the Buck Brothers is on Geocities.

http://www.geocities.com/sawnutz/index.htm

I have copied the pages before they disappear.

There are likely sites I do not know about that concern neander wood working. If you have some favorites, let them be known. You should also copy the information if you can because when it is gone, it may not reappear.

jim

Luke Townsley
04-25-2009, 2:17 PM
www.archive.org is your friend, but yes, you should copy them if you really want them.

Here are some links to another site that I list on my web site:
www.geocities.com/plybench/bowsaw.html
www.geocities.com/plybench/bench.html
www.geocities.com/plybench/tour.html
www.geocities.com/plybench/shop_projects.html

Bill Houghton
04-25-2009, 2:30 PM
Paul Womack (aka Bugbear), who has a great site, uses Geocities. I just tried to go there and got "temporarily unavailable."

Ray Sheley
04-25-2009, 2:37 PM
Jim,
You might be a good reference for info on a chisel that I recently found.
I know to watch for the words Cast Steel when searching for old chisels, but I just picked up a 1" Buck Bros beveled socket chisel which has the Buck head emblem between Buck and Bros, but no Cast Steel nomenclature. I suspect that the chisel is old, and worth the time to bring it into a working condition, but I'd like to learn more. Any hints?
Thanks.

Jim Koepke
04-25-2009, 8:09 PM
The only thing to my knowledge which comes from the pages on the Buck Brothers is the stag logo started being used around 1870.

I will have to look, but I think I have a few that do not say cast steel.

The steel on all of my Buck Brothers chisels and gouges seem to take a great edge.

jim

Ray Sheley
04-26-2009, 6:29 AM
I have a few Buck chisels, and those that I have all state CAST STEEL (I think). Because of the socket construction I assumed it was moderately old and not intended for a plastic handle like most are today. I have a bucket full of chisels that need attention "for when I have shop time" (Probably when I retire) and after doing some initial polishing and bevel edge work with 220 grit paper ala scary sharp, I was satisfied enough to place this in my "to do" bucket.
I am curious to learn if you have older chisels that do not have the CAST STEEL logo. Thanks.

Jim Koepke
04-26-2009, 9:51 AM
I am curious to learn if you have older chisels that do not have the CAST STEEL logo. Thanks.

I think most of the older ones say Cast Steel. I'l have to look and take some pics to post later.

jim