PDA

View Full Version : Some Pictures...

David Gendron
04-25-2009, 2:38 PM
Here are a few pictures(not super clear) of some new tools from Gramecy and of my 10'x 10' shop! I didn't take picture of the hold fast that I got at the same time!

Bruce Page
04-25-2009, 3:11 PM
I have never seen hand planes stored that way before, pretty clever!

David Gendron
04-25-2009, 3:14 PM
I don't remember where I got that from... But it work good and they are easy to access, just above the bench! I need to make my self a tool cabinet with a saw till, maybe this summer...

Marc Casebolt
04-25-2009, 3:28 PM
I have that dovetail saw, and like it a lot. Are those draw bore pins? New tools are a bunch of fun eh.

Are thos planes just hanging there by the knobs only? Or are they wedged in some way that I'm not seeing? You must be very careful around your bench, if that was mine those planes would probably be dropping like flies, But I'm a bit of a klutz.

Nice shop,

Marc

David Gendron
04-25-2009, 4:06 PM
The saw is now my favorit dovetail saw! you are right about the draw bore pins and I just ordered the 3/8 they were out of stock when I ordered the 1/2".
The planes are just hang by there knobs and so far so good, none hited the floor!!
I will move my shop in a few weeks to an other room of the basement a little larger(12x12), and I might change a few things!
David

Ken Werner
04-25-2009, 5:36 PM
Very nice shop and tools David. I'd be afraid to store my planes that way. I'm sure I'd hit them with something and knock 'em down. It sure is innovative though.

harry strasil
04-25-2009, 8:14 PM
My old Mentor hung some of his planes similar, a rough quick drawing. FWIW
The drawing doesn't show it, but he had them hanging with the bottoms slighty tilted out so that they were easy to access by hand. In fact he used 2 old broom stick handles. LOL

rick fulton
04-25-2009, 10:25 PM
I didn't take picture of the hold fast that I got at the same time!

Looks like your holdfasts are already hanging off one leg of your bench. Nice bench BTW. Nice setup.

David Gendron
04-25-2009, 11:22 PM
thank you guys!
Harry, as for the planes, they do tend to hang that way anyway! maybe thats what I should do, it would secure them a little better!
Thank you

george wilson
04-26-2009, 8:43 AM
That shop looks very well thought out. I used to have a shop that was about 6' X 10'. It was very small as I had a metal lathe,a small milling machine,a drill press,a bench grinder,a die filer,and a workbench in there,among many smaller things. There was about 2' of room in front of the bench,with the lathe behind me,in which to work.

I was there for 12 years,and made small projects like tools,flintlock pistols,and other small objects due to the limited space. I did do some good work in there,though. I sort of enjoy a small work space.It is like a nest.

David Gendron
04-26-2009, 1:16 PM
the holdfast hanging on the leg, are some made by Jake, a friend of Phill Koonz a black smith in Galena AK. They have been revewed in the pop wood mag or Woodworking mag a wile ago and they are great!

Danny Thompson
04-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Great shop organization, David.

So the Gramercy dovetail saw, drawbore pins and . . . what . . . 8" Modeller's rasp?

I see you are selling your LN dovetail and carcass saws. Thinking of buying the Gramercy Carcase Saw, instead?

How do you like your leg vise?

David Gendron
04-27-2009, 1:36 AM
Danny, as for the carcass saw, I all ready have an Adria saw that I realy like. I bough the LN after and didn't like it as much as the Adria so it's for sale... Maybe sold!
and as for the leg vise, I like it but I working o an other design to put on my next banch!
thank you for the comment on the shop, when you have a 10x10 shop you need to be kind of organized!