PDA

View Full Version : Finch Birdhouse

Joe Pfeifer
04-26-2009, 9:42 AM
This is my first attempt at a functional birdhouse. The body is staved construction and the top is basically a bowl. It's made of ash for the roof, cocobolo for the perch, mahogany for the bottom, and unknown for the staves. Total height is about 6.5" and the width is 7.5". Critiques are welcome. Thanks for looking!

Steve Schlumpf
04-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Looks pretty good to me Joe! Nice form - both decorative and functional. Looks like you have it sealed pretty good also! Let us know if you get any tenants!

Terry Murphy
04-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Great little bird houses;)
Are they for show, or are you going to hang them outside and see if you will have some renters?

Terry

Mitchell Cholewinski
04-26-2009, 2:02 PM
Joe
Very nice birdhouses. You did a great job, keep it up. I made a whole bunch of birdhouses last year and still enjoy making them. Mitch:cool:

Dewey Torres
04-26-2009, 2:40 PM
Joe,
Come back and update this thread with a pic of the inhabitants of you get a chance:)

Allen Neighbors
04-26-2009, 2:45 PM
Good looking birdhouses!

David Walser
04-26-2009, 3:20 PM
Joe,

Nice looking birdhouse. I've a question regarding construction details: Did you make the top or bottom removable for cleaning? If so, how?

Ron Lynch
04-26-2009, 3:55 PM
Nice looking work, the real critique will come from the birds.

Jeff Nicol
04-26-2009, 4:22 PM
Joe, It is neat that you made a birdhouse that can be really used! Fellow creeker Mike Svoma and I were talking about making some last week! It rained all day here in WI so the birds would have like a nice dry place to lay low!

Great job!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2009, 9:46 PM
Looks good to me. The finches should like it.

Joe Pfeifer
04-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Are they for show, or are you going to hang them outside and see if you will have some renters?This is going outside as soon as the last coat of spar urethane dries.

Did you make the top or bottom removable for cleaning? If so, how? Not yet. The bottom was supposed to be screwed on but I didn't have anything thick enough. After this season is over, I'll use a hole saw and screw on a new bottom.