PDA

View Full Version : Left versus Right Handed Rasps

Scott Mark
04-27-2009, 8:34 AM
I was dreaming of some Auriou (note the IOU!..oofda!) rasps and was wondering wondering whats the difference between left v. right handed rasps? I'm not quite ambidextrous, the left hand will take the lead but the right will follow once I have a technique down (yea..weird). I have to be careful when buying handed items and I can't quite visualize how a rasp can be "handed." Any insight would be appreciated.

C. Scott Mark

David Keller NC
04-27-2009, 11:13 AM
A "handed" rasp or file is one where there's bias to the rows of teeth - they're not quite perpendicular to the length of the tool. I've had a few "lefties" (I'm right handed, though not strongly), and I'm not really sure it makes all the much difference, though obviously the left-handed rasps are designed to be used with the left hand grasping the handle and the right hand on the tip of the tool.

george wilson
04-27-2009, 11:20 AM
I am left handed. When using files and rasps,I have to give a push that goes towards the right as well as forwards. Otherwise,the way the teeth are angled,on files,I get a finish that is not as smooth.

Scott Mark
04-27-2009, 2:37 PM
Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it!