PDA

View Full Version : 2-days with Tom Lie-Nielsen & Chris Schwarz

Victor Stearns
04-27-2009, 8:43 PM
Greetings to the Creek,:D
Just a great way to spend the weekend!
My nephew and I had the most amazing 2-days learning about hand planes and how to sharpen/maintain them with Tom Lie-Nielsen and Christopher Schwarz at the Marc Adams School of Woodworking.
Tom brought almost his entire line of planes, and yes you could use them. It was just amazing to not only see all of his high quality tools, but the opportunity to use them side-by-side was a blast. And yes Tom took many orders by the end of the Sunday afternoon.
Chris showed us how to sharpen plane irons as he does. The cambering of the iron I thought would be so much more involved, but proved to be much easier than first imagined.
Then it was our turn. Take the plane you brought, sharpen it, adjust it, and make some shavings. Oh Yea! Take this board, flatten it, joint the edge, and see who has the best board. The finish I achieved is amazing. I am ready to do some more. I had hoped by the end of the weekend to have the necessary skills to sharpen my planes, and to use them to smooth my boards instead of using a sander. I was not disappointed.
I think that by the end of the weekend we where all making shavings that where thin enough to read through, and consistently wonderful.
The staff at MASW was once again ever supporting and willing to aid when in doubt. The facilities at MASW, in my opinion, are the very best and provide for a teaching/learning experience that you will never forget. I would suggest that if you ever get a chance to take a class at MASW, to do so. You will not regret it.
Also the chance to mingle and share with other woodworkers is awesome. Want to try someone else’s plane? Just ask.
I thought that I would purchase a BU plane, but in the end, the #4-1/2 with a 50-degree frog proved to be the plane of choice and should be arriving soon. (A Gloat on the way.)
I just thought I would share this and don’t forget, MASW should be having this class again next year.

Keeping making Shavings,
Victor

Ken Werner
04-27-2009, 11:14 PM
Good post Victor. I'm just curious - what made you choose the 50 degree frog for the 4.5 over the other options?

Jacob Mac
04-28-2009, 7:00 PM
That sounds like an incredible experience. I am interested also, why did you choose the 4 1/2 with the 50 degree frog?

Michael Gaynes
04-28-2009, 7:46 PM
That sounds like an incredible experience. I am interested also, why did you choose the 4 1/2 with the 50 degree frog?

I prefer my frogs at room temperature...

Victor Stearns
04-29-2009, 7:46 PM
Thanks for the responses.
I choose the 50-degree frog for two reasons,
First Chris Schwarz recommends a high angle frog to reduce tearout.
Second because Chris said it would reduce tear out.
Thanks
Victor