PDA

View Full Version : How to dispose a metal plane?

Sam Takeuchi
04-28-2009, 8:05 AM
Hello all. I have a question regarding how to responsibly dispose a metal plane. I have an Anant No. 4 that needs to be disposed. Now, I do refurbish and tune planes for my own use, and I spent considerable time trying to make this a usable plane, but it occured to me, this is not worth the effort. Since I live in Japan, I can't readily sell it either (demand for a metal plane is really low, especially of low quality junk such as this one. Besides I wouldn't feel good about putting this junk into unsuspecting person's hand). As for my own use, I have well tuned old Record, Stanley and Veritas planes, so I don't particularly need this plane, either.

So now this piece of junk is sitting on the floor. I'm not even giving it a shelf space. It has to go. So what can I do with this? Is metal plane such as this (I don't even know if it's grey iron or something else. I can hammer it to find out!) recyclable? Can it even become worthy of a scrap for anyone? I don't want to just chuck it away with the rest of garbage, after all, it's quite a hunk of metal (I'm glad it's not a jointer). So if anyone has some idea as to what to do to dispose a metal plane, please do share.

P.S. I don't need a door stop nor do I own a boat, so there's no future career as boat anchor or door stopper for this Anant. It's not even heavy enough to be used as a weight. I have dedicated bricks for that :)

Mike Henderson
04-28-2009, 9:49 AM
Welcome to the forum, Sam.

If you're convinced the plane cannot be made usable, I'd put it (in pieces) in the nearest recycle bin so the metals get reused. Who knows, maybe the metal will wind up in a better plane. I suggest putting it in the recycle bin in pieces so no one pulls it out whole and sells it to someone else.

Mike

Robby Tacheny
04-28-2009, 12:10 PM
It would be worth calling the manufacturer and explaining that despite your best efforts, the plane simply doesn't perform. They might send you a new one or refund your money or even do better.

It could be that this was a manufacturer flaw. If you have taken the time to try and tune it up, wouldn't it be worth taking 5 more minutes to see of your situation can be remedied.

Otherwise why not sell it. Even though you are not happy with it, doesn't mean it might not be a good first plane for a person just starting out.

I do realize that that the hammer option is sometimes more gratifying, but you still have some other options that could be exhausted before it goes to the trash pile (or recycle bin in this instance).

-R

David Keller NC
04-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Sam - You deserve a load of credit for not wanting put a piece of junk into a newbie's hand, regardless if that might make you a few bucks. Many, many newbies to woodworking get frustrated and give up because they bought a piece o junk for a tool (whether power or handtool) and assume that "they just can't do it".

The metal in your plane can most definitely be recycled - it's cast iron, and 90% of the iron/steel on the planet gets recycled into something else. That's a good thing - it takes several times more energy to turn raw ore into steel than recycled scrap into steel.

Peter Scoma
04-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Hello all. I have a question regarding how to responsibly dispose a metal plane.

Me thinks you have to much time on your hands to ponder such concerns.

Put it in the trash.

(awaiting wrath from treehuggers:D)

PS

Jim Koepke
04-28-2009, 1:03 PM
Sam,

I have a few pieces of old planes that have been cut and filed to hold totes and knobs when they are being repaired, sanded and refinished.

Otherwise, getting it back into service through the path of recycling may be the best option.

Maybe someone else needs a door stop or boat anchor.

jim

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-28-2009, 2:42 PM
set some bleachers out in the sun and trash it out on Highway 61~!!

It's not toxic so you don't have a disposal issue.

Other than the question of blight there's be nothing wrong with tossing it in the back 40 and letting it turn into rust.

Dan Blackshear
04-28-2009, 2:49 PM
It may not be usable as a plane, but that doesn't mean it's not usable. If it will clean up nicely, make it into a name placard or a business card holder. I think it would be a unique way to display something without having to use a "good" tool as the base.

Michael Faurot
04-28-2009, 2:58 PM
Some thoughts occur to me on this, that's in the spirit of recycling.

If the knob and tote are wood, save them for use on another plane. If you find a vintage Stanley/Record/etc. type bench plane with a cracked knob or tote, these could be used or modified.
Re-use the blade and/or chip breaker and make yourself a Krenov style wood plane.
Gut the body, and then use it to make an infill plane like this (http://www.oldtoolsshop.com/inTheShop/mkTools/galootInfill/index.asp).

Sam Takeuchi
04-28-2009, 3:08 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys! Nah, can't chuck it in the trash. Garbage disposal here is quite strict these days. We even have to put garbage in semi transparent bags to keep people from mixing raw, plastic, PET, cans and bottles and in some rare cases, Anant No. 4 altogether. There's a fine for mixing crap together here if spotted. Besides, if it can be recycled, 'tis a good thing.

I think even if I continue to tune this, the result doesn't really justify the time, effort and investment. Lapping sole and sides are no problem, but there's a huge hump on iron bed length wise that causes blade to rest only on one side, and the other side lifts up about 1/16". To flatten that, I'd have to grind and file before I can even begin to lap. Cap iron is out of square and needs to be placed at a skewed angle to align with the edge. Yoke adjustment hole is too high, causing blade to protrude even with depth adjuster all the way in. Oh and depth adjuster has a whopping six turns of play.

So instead of spending another 68 dollars plus international shipping (about 15 to 20 bucks me thinks) to replace stock iron and badly made cap iron to Hock set, and still needing more grinding and filing, I thought this one has got to go. This is actually the first plane I started out with and I used it untuned for a couple of years until I realized it's not the way it is supposed to be. I did a few restorations on oldies from the 'bay since then and I do enjoy tuning a plane up, but I don't really enjoy 'making' half the plane of questionable quality. Unfortunately I can't even use them as clamping weight (I use hide glue). I have a few dedicated 75 cents a piece bricks for that :) Kind of sad, eh? So off to scrap yard it is.

Hank Knight
04-28-2009, 3:13 PM
Too bad it's not a piece of 19th Century anchor chain. You could have donated it to your favorite blade maker. :D

Sam Takeuchi
04-28-2009, 3:42 PM
Oh yeah, I thought about making woodies using the cap iron and blade. But that's the problem. Cap iron is one of the crappy made parts and iron is gets dull if you look at it funny. Besides, for my future woodie projects, I have a 2" wide x 0.300" thick properly laminated Japanese blade from a 40 dollar home center grade Japanese plane (I live in Japan, so they are sold by loads and the blades are exceptionally good on those for 40 bucks) and another 1 5/8" wide x 0.300" blade from a Japanese scraper plane. 1 5/8" blade will become a future woodie scrub, 2" will be made into something I haven't decided, yet. As much as I like the surface Japanese planes produce, and I have no problem with pulling (I find it easier), but I could never get used to the grip.

I did think about infill as well. But probably I never get around to make one any time soon, though.

Placard is a good idea indeed. I think I will entertain this idea for a while and see what comes out of it before making a trip to a scrap yard. Thanks for the nice ideas!

John Schreiber
04-28-2009, 4:29 PM
I had an off brand No. 5 which I just couldn't get to stay in adjustment. I filed out the mouth, filed the blade and the chipbreaker into an arc, then sharpened it as much as I could. It now makes an honest living as a scrub plane where its faults are more accepted.

Otherwise, I'd see if someone else wanted it for decoration.

Doug Shepard
04-28-2009, 5:29 PM
Big Door Pull ????

Ben Davis
04-28-2009, 7:32 PM
I'd say recycle all but the iron given what you have said so far. Use the iron for basic "scrap" metal to make a side escapement plane, a screw box, etc. There are all kinds of uses for the iron.