PDA

View Full Version : Stanley NO. 7 where to tune up?

Michael Hartery
04-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Hello
I have acquired a SW stanley no.7 joiner plane from my grandfather. It was used in his shop. Is there any where I could send this off to to have it tuned up? I need the sole flattened, blade sharpened, and most likely a few other things I am unaware of. Any feed back or direction will be appreciated.
Thank you.

Robby Tacheny
04-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Its not hard to do yourself.

Here is a video with some good information on how to tune up an older handplane.

http://woodtreks.com/how-to-tune-up-a-hand-plane/19/

Here is some great and very in depth information by a forum member.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60970&highlight=chisel

Is this your first experience with using a handplane? If so, there is a ton more information online that will help you identify part names, approximate age, and gives other general background information.

Welcome and be warned that handplanes are addictive. Don't get yourself in too deep. . .

-R

Mike Cutler
04-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Michael

First off. Welcome to Sawmill Creek.

I wouldn't send the plane anywhere. It's an odds on bet that all it needs is a little cleanup, then the blade sharpened and set right, and you'd be off to the races.
I would also post a pic. A plane that has a Sweetheart Logo on it has collector value associated with, especially if it's complete and true to Type. (Type being the approximate manufacturing age date of the plane.)

Once again though, Welcome to Sawmill Creek.

Jim Koepke
04-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Hello
I have acquired a SW stanley no.7 joiner plane from my grandfather. It was used in his shop. Is there any where I could send this off to to have it tuned up? I need the sole flattened, blade sharpened, and most likely a few other things I am unaware of. Any feed back or direction will be appreciated.
Thank you.

What leads you to beleive it needs anything more than the blade sharpened?

Sharpening is something that will need to be done on a regular basis, so it is something one should learn if they are going to use hand tools.

If your grandfather used it in his shop, it may be be tuned already. My #7 came from a person who worked in a cabinet shop. The only thing it needed was to have some paint stripped off the tote.

As Mike said, some pictures may help. Once the blade is sharpened, let us know what problems occur and we can help you with the tune up.

jim

Tom Henderson2
04-28-2009, 1:42 PM
Hello
Thank you.

I think the woodworking press does us a disservice by suggesting that all planes, especially older Stanley's, need to have the sole flattened upon puchase.

And for many of us (most?) "lapping" with sand paper will just make it worse.

The longer the plane, like this #7, the tougher it is to find a truly flat reference surface. Since the plane needs to be within a thou or so to be flat, the reference surface needs to be that flat too... and few of us have something that flat over the necessary length.

So my advice is to leave it alone. If it is truly honked and needs flattening, send it to a machine shop. And be prepared to pay; good machinists deserve a good wage.

My $0.02.

-TH

Sean Hughto
04-28-2009, 2:54 PM
I think the woodworking press does us a disservice by suggesting that all planes, especially older Stanley's, need to have the sole flattened upon puchase.

Here here!! Shout it from the hills! Testify, brother! Amen Amen.

Michael Hartery
05-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Thanx for the feed back guys. Those videos helped allot. I made some progress with adjusting the frog. What angle would you recommend sharpening the blade edge to. I was told 30 degrees. Does that sound right. Also I had the sole ground flat at a machine shop. when I hold my straight edge on it there is a high spot behind the mouth. I think I have to flatten it my self with some glass and wet dry sand paper. Any other tricks?

George Sanders
05-03-2009, 12:02 PM
I have several old Stanley planes and I have never flattened a sole. I have used all of them with good results. The only thing I did to any of them was to clean, sharpen, and USE them.

Sam Takeuchi
05-03-2009, 12:16 PM
You had a machine shop grind the sole and it's still not flat? Was the sole really bad before?

Tri Hoang
05-03-2009, 3:40 PM
I would clean it, sharpen the blade (blade needs to be extra SHARP!) and give it a try. Other things to check: chip breaker must make full contact with the blade (no light test), blade should sit flat on the frog, the frog angle and the sole angle (mouth) should be on a straight line. The last thing I'd be worry about is the sole (smoother/jointer particularly).

Jim Koepke
05-03-2009, 7:32 PM
What angle would you recommend sharpening the blade edge to. I was told 30 degrees. Does that sound right. Also I had the sole ground flat at a machine shop. when I hold my straight edge on it there is a high spot behind the mouth. I think I have to flatten it my self with some glass and wet dry sand paper. Any other tricks?

Most of my bench plane blades get a 30° bevel. Stanley would use 25° from the factory and this is stamped on some blades. More than 35° might cause problems with the ability to cut with a 45° frog.

If the machine shop charged you for the services, I would take it back and show them the problem.

jim