PDA

View Full Version : Plane hammer and mallet

Glen Evans
04-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi all,
I love all the pictures of hand made tools on this board--here are two more to look at!

The first is a small plane adjusting hammer--claro walnut and brass. The weird looking mallet is one that I'm very happy with.

Its designed to be squeezed between the thumb and the index finger so that the other fingers grasp it lightly. When I use it for fine work I keep my arm tight to my body so that my elbow is locked to my side. This way I move that mallet head by rotating the wrist. The downward sloping head is intended to be travelling in line with the rotation--(my head is aching trying to explain this). At any rate the angle allows me to strike the chisel handle squarely with a high degree of control FWIW.

It looks odd but it gets lots of use in my shop.

Cheers
Glen

Mike Henderson
04-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Very interesting. It's really nice to see someone re-imagine a tool.

Congratulations.

Mike

Dave Anderson NH
04-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Wow, great sculptural work on the handles Glen. They are truly tools designed outside the box.

Joel Goodman
04-29-2009, 4:36 PM
I reminds me of the stock on a revolver -- interesting concept. I imagine that the hand always grips it the same way which should be a big plus.

Glen Evans
04-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Joel--you're right--it does kinda look like a pistol grip. You're also right that it fits into the hand the same way each time. Its not intended for heavy work but its great for detail work. I have been debating make another version with larger size head and shaping the brass head itself to create a similar type of grip. My concern is that too heavy a mallet will fatigue the wrist... (that will have to wait until I complete the mantel/wall unit I'm working on now; the panel saw I have roughed out; the high angle rosewood smoother I have started; the landscaping............)

Dave and Mike, thanks for encouragement! I find the peer review and feedback on these boards very motivational. Friends and family don't always "get it" when looking at our work--so a critique or compliment by like minded craftsmen is really valuable.

Thanks
Glen