PDA

View Full Version : Flatening banch top... A small affaire!

David Gendron
04-29-2009, 12:35 AM
Good evening Creekers,

Last night I found out that one of the lamination on my banch top dicided to give up. So after reglueing and letting the glue cured it was time to reflatten the top(was done once but not realy good!!)

So I looked at the clock, looked at the top with winding stiks and "straight" edge and went on it traversing with my #6(one of my favorit plane). After about a small 10 min, I switch to my 608(an other favorit) and kept going. After a few minutes, I went with the grain and remember that glueing the top initialy I didn't take good care of orienting my lamination acording to grain direction:eek:... So some tear out show up... I then switch to my LV BU jointer and finished it with the grain(or agains it:o)until flatness was a good!

So the Clock said I had spent about 25 min from start to finish and that's with the help of my 18 months old daughter:rolleyes:!

Here some pics!

Sam Takeuchi
04-29-2009, 1:12 AM
Lies! All lies! You didn't do it, it was your daughter who fixed the top. You just took pictures. Tsk tsk tsk! Don't try to take credit for someone else's work :D

I can imagine her getting busy pushing the 608 ;)

Dominic Greco
04-29-2009, 8:12 AM
David,
Looking good! And in 25 minutes???!!! That's a pretty impressive time frame you posted! :eek:

I hear you about the No6 being one of your favorite planes to use. It's just such a handy size! I have a Bedrock 606 that I love using.:D

And I am glad to hear that you used a 608 to flatten the rest. I just finished tuning up mine and it's a real joy to use. The mass of that bad boy really helps it to power through the wood! :D

After I install new vice faces, I'm probably going to flatten my bench top as well. I'll keep you in mind when I start my own flattening project!

Steve Thomas
04-29-2009, 8:53 AM
get your saw off the floor too. It looks too good to be down there.

#6's are a good weight for me too.

Richard Dooling
04-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Nice bench David,

I just flattened my bench again also - what a chore and it took me a good bit longer than 25 min. But then I'm weak and old.:eek:

I also like the #6 a lot. It's a nice step between the #5 and the #8 for me.

David I am curious about how you like the leg vise. I have it in mind to replace my tail vise with a wagon vise, though not the $$$ BenchCrafted one. So I'm also thinking about a leg vise. If you could have either a leg vise or a side/front vise, which would you opt for?

David Gendron
04-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Dominic, you have to keep in mind that my banch was some kind of flat to start with and I stoped when feel it's flat enough... but what is flat enough? that I don't realy know, I don't try to achive the flatness of a granit plate, far from that actualy!

Richard, I wouldn't trade my leg vise for a regular vise(quik realese type vise), it work realy good, it's cheap to build and easy as well! as for wagon vise, I can't tell there I don't have any experience with theme! I have a quik release vice as a end vise and don't like it!! Maybe because it's a cheep one but it's all ready wably!