PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley BU or LA question

Griph0n Brown
04-30-2009, 2:53 AM
I'm thinking of buying my second NEW LV plane. Very happy with their shoulder plane.

I'm having trouble with some maple, my stanleys are tearing out alot on the face. The LV BU smoother looks interesting, and is my first choice, but it would be nice to use the LA Jack or Smoother on a shooting board. Are they as effective as the BU as a smoother?

I've read a few reviews here and around the net and the Lee Valleys seem to do really well compared to others, but no direct comparisons of the three. By the way, thats where the LV, BU and LA come from. If I weren't Canadian and had money that wasn't all funny colours (notice the u there) I guess I'd be able to ask about a LN too!
Anyone own any combination of these?

Thanks

Sam Takeuchi
04-30-2009, 4:08 AM
I think Derek has a review and direct comparison on LA and BU smoother. Ah here it is:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/The%20Veritas%20Low%20Angle%20Smoothing%20Plane.ht ml

There's a section near the bottom comparing the LA and BU Smoother.

I have Veritas LA Jack and BU Smoother. Personally I think they are exactly the same plane, just different length (plus joint-able sides on LA Jack). LA Jack is just as effective as BU Smoother, performs and cuts just as effective as the other, but of course due to its sides, trying to smooth a small spot with a LA Jack would be a bit tough. But those two will take shavings comparable to each other. One thing I can say is that low mushroom knob is super comfortable in my opinion. I know some people complain about the handle being too vertical, but I like it. As for LA smoother, I think Derek's review explains a lot of things you might be wondering. I used his reviews to make my purchase decisions on LA Jack and BU Smoother before I knew this forum existed (I googled straight into his reviews).

I wish BU Smoother had flat sides, though. I often need to square an end of a small piece and the most accurately square plane I have is the LA Jack. Whipping out this one just to square a small piece is a bit cumbersome. My block plane is totally out of square, and my Record isn't as square, so for that, I have to use Jack. Yes, squaring a 1/4" X 1/8" stick with a 15" long Jack.

John Keeton
04-30-2009, 5:45 AM
Griphon, I have the LV BU Jack and the LAS. They are both excellent planes, and while they do perform much the same, I like the feel of the jack a little better - but marginally. The advantage of the LAS is the ability to shoot with it, but the disadvantage - if it is - is the inability to interchange blades with the jack. The BUS has a lower center of gravity and a little wider, I think. I have used a friends, and it has a good feel to it. I probably would have gotten it as opposed to the LAS, but got a good deal on the LAS with an extra blade.

But, since the jack is really a good size to use with a shooting board anyway, if I were you I might consider getting the BU jack first and then the BU smoother as a companion to the jack. That would give you a couple of different angles on blades, and the option of buying the third blade that would fit both. It would also give you a good shooting plane with the jack.

Eric Brown
04-30-2009, 7:08 AM
Derek writes very honest reviews and his opinion should be considered strongly.

That said, I agree with the other posters that the BU Jack would be good for a bigger variety of tasks. It works very well on a shooting board.

My suggestion for a third plane would be the LV Premium block plane. It can work as a small smoother and it also works well on a shooting board.

An additional suggestion is to get spare blades for the BU planes. I found that the 25 degree works well on the end grain of maple (I use denatured alcohol to make it easier). The steeper 37 degree works well with the grain.
Oh, and sharpen with at least an 8000 grit stone or a leather strop. Can't be too sharp!

Enjoy. Eric

Sam Takeuchi
04-30-2009, 7:15 AM
Now I just thought, if you get a Jack or BU smoother and don't like it, maybe you can have it exchanged for another. You should check with them about that.

Michael Sobik
04-30-2009, 12:25 PM
It's a little confusing that LV offers two BU smoothers:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=51870&cat=1,41182,41187&ap=1

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=45864&cat=1,41182,41187&ap=1

I own the first one, as well as the BU Jack. These two planes have interchangeable blades which is awesome. The second plane I linked has a different size blade than the BU Jack. However, you cannot use the first plane on the shooting board. It's a dedicated smoother.