PDA

View Full Version : Leigh d4r jig help!!

John Grabowski
07-12-2009, 7:56 PM
Look at the attached photo...I just bought(earlier today) the D4R Jig from Woodcraft. I was assembling the jig and putting on the two scales and they didnt seem to match the photos. Then I looked at them and they are identical!! Not one right and the other left. I am right? Did Leigh pack my box with one of the wrong scales? Let me know what you think.

Should I take it back to Woodcraft and expect them to make it right or should I call Leigh?

Any suggestions would be warmly appreciated. I am a little hot over this since I just spent over 600$ with extras!!

Thanks,

John G

Eddie Simmons
07-12-2009, 8:14 PM
Just went to the shop and looked at my. It is the same as yours. Did you get the DVD with yours? It took me a couple of nights watching it. I used my laptop to watch the DVD over and over. The first box I made turn out well. It was a very steep learning curve for me.
Good Luck
Eddie

Charles Lent
07-12-2009, 8:25 PM
If you just bought it, and find something wrong with it, the right place to take it is back to where you bought it (Woodcraft). This is the quickest way to get your problem corrected.They will likely immediately exchange it for another and you can be on your way (after you first check to see that the new one is correct while you are still at the store). Modern automated packaging is very good, but not perfect. This type of thing will happen occasionally.

If you have a warranty problem sometime down the road you should contact the manufacturer. Leigh is an excellent company that stands by their projects if you should ever need them. I had some small warranty problems with a Leigh FMT jig and they were very good to me. I also own a D4R and have been very satisfied with it.

Charley

John Grabowski
07-12-2009, 8:26 PM
Thanks for the info Eddie...Take a look at the Leigh site:

http://www.leighjigs.com/d4.php

It appears that they should be opposite...Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks,

John G

Eddie Simmons
07-12-2009, 8:53 PM
Sorry I was wrong. Went to look again with a copy of your email. You have two of the same side.
Eddie

Steve Rozmiarek
07-12-2009, 8:54 PM
John, on my D4, one of those has the knurled brass knob on the other side. You can actually swap it to the other side if its the same as my D4. Just unscrew the knob, and the square nut will fall out of the inside. There is an identical square hole in the other. Piece of cake to fix!

John Grabowski
07-12-2009, 8:59 PM
I tried that already...it seems as though the set screw will not allow the knurled knob to come undone...I am going to take it back to woodcraft tomorrow and have them change it out...I dont want to risk messing the whole thing up so they wont take it back.

If there is a trick though...I would love to hear about it.

Thanks,

John Grabowski

Steve Rozmiarek
07-13-2009, 1:27 AM
Hmmmm.... they must have changed something. My jigs about 7 years old or so, so that's likely. Yep, take it back.

John Grabowski
07-13-2009, 3:34 PM
Went to wodcraft today and they promptly replaced the scale with the correct one. It was a quick trade. Great service at the local Woodcraft in Bedford Ohio.

By the way, the jig works amazingly well. I just have to perfect it.

Thanks for all the input,

John G

Al Navas
07-13-2009, 9:07 PM
John,

You will love using the D4R. I have the older D4 - it is a great machine, and a real workhorse. I am very glad Woodcraft was as efficient as usual!