PDA

View Full Version : What would you consider a good price for new clamps

Stephen Saar
10-18-2009, 8:03 PM
I'm looking at getting a bunch of clamps soon. These will be my first clamps, and I'm looking at getting the Jet Parallel clamps. Right now Rockler is running a sale on them, but I wasn't sure what a decent price was for clamps. I know clamps go on sale pretty often, but since I've never really priced any before I do not know what is really a good deal for clamps.

Any advice?

Thanks.

-Stephen

Dave Sweeney
10-18-2009, 8:45 PM
I haven't seen a real sale on Jet parallel clamps in a really long time. I think that you'll find that the Jet's, Bessey's and Jorgy's are all pretty much very similar in price. I'm not sure what the Rockler deal is but if it's one of their combo sets than that's probably the best deal going right now.

glenn bradley
10-18-2009, 9:16 PM
I was always reaching for one more 24" Bessy K-body. During that time, whenever I found them for $25 each or less I went ahead and bought them; finally have enough. I have paid around $30 for 31" and $35 for 50". All these were very good prices (IMHO) during sales.

With the new Revo's out the old dependable K-bodys still show up cheap here and there. I find the Jets and the Jorgies enough heavier to be cumbersome but many, many other folks are fine with this to get the other features they prefer.

I should also mention that I have a good number of quality f-style clamps that get used only when I run out of parallel clamps (K-body, Uniklamp, even a few of those big-ole Stanleys that Big Lots was blowing out).

mickey cassiba
10-18-2009, 9:26 PM
I was always reaching for one more 24" Bessy K-body. During that time, whenever I found them for $25 each or less I went ahead and bought them; finally have enough. I have paid around $30 for 31" and $35 for 50". All these were very good prices (IMHO) during sales.

With the new Revo's out the old dependable K-bodys still show up cheap here and there. I find the Jets and the Jorgies enough heavier to be cumbersome but many, many other folks are fine with this to get the other features they prefer.

I should also mention that I have a good number of quality f-style clamps that get used only when I run out of parallel clamps (K-body, Uniklamp, even a few of those big-ole Stanleys that Big Lots was blowing out).
Glen...I tried to reply to a PM sent by you and am not sure if it went through.. If It did knock twice...and we now return you to your reglarly scheduled post!

Rick Moyer
10-18-2009, 9:31 PM
I got lucky several years ago at a woodworking show. PeachTree (I think) was selling the Bessey K-body kits for less than $100. These were two 24"s, two 40"s, and the blocks. I should have bought more than one kit.
I'd like to get a bunch more 24's.

Jim O'Dell
10-18-2009, 9:31 PM
I thought the prices Woodcraft sold off their remaining old style Besseys 24 and 40" last December were good. 4-24" for 80.00, and 4-40" for 100.00. Free shipping also. I got 8 of the 40" and 4 of the 24", and 4 of the extenders. I still want to try some of the Jets, even though they are supposed to be a little heavier. If the Rockler deal is the 10% off I think I saw, I'd wait. Someone will have a better sale on them. That is unless you need them right now.
Watch Amazon. Use the Frozen Warrior site to see the trend in pricing of the individual items. Jim.

Andrew Joiner
10-18-2009, 9:55 PM
During that time, whenever I found them for $25 each or less I went ahead and bought them; finally have enough.

What? I thought you could never have enough clamps.

glenn bradley
10-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Glen...I tried to reply to a PM sent by you and am not sure if it went through.. If It did knock twice...and we now return you to your reglarly scheduled post!

Knock, knock.

Hey, this is like a super-secret sub-thread . . . except that everyone else can see it ;-)

Mark Smith, too
10-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Grizzly has some 24 and 40 inch old style Besseys for reasonable prices. Not as good as the Woodcraft sell-out, however.

http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/24-K-Body-Clamp/G3322
http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/40-K-Body-Clamp/G3324

These will probably be the best for price on this style clamp you are going to find. $25.50 and $32.95 per.

glenn bradley
10-18-2009, 11:22 PM
What? I thought you could never have enough clamps.

That rule is still reliable. I only stated that "I finally have enough 24"parallel clamps". ;) The ones on this cleat wall generally stay in the 6 racks shown although the racks sometimes get rearranged. This combination meets most of my day to day needs. For other stuff I have various clamps here and there in drawers, near where they are used, on pegboard, on the opposite wall, etc. they have become self restricting though until I get cleats up on the lumber rack wall in the areas that aren't obstructed :D.

Rick Fisher
10-19-2009, 3:15 AM
I pick up a couple of Bessey K-body clamps at a time..

Just picked up 2 of the Revo clamps.. Wow.. huge improvement over my wooden handled Besseys..

I would recommend them 100%..