PDA

View Full Version : turning smock or?

Wally Wenzel
11-03-2009, 9:52 AM
I have been looking at trying to find a smock or what ever to keep the chips out of the pockets and more so my neck. Any one have an idea where to find them, saw a pic of a sorby smock but can't find where to buy such a thing. Any help will be apprecitated. Thanks Wally

Alan Zenreich
11-03-2009, 9:55 AM
I bought a Sorby smock this weekend at the Woodcraft store in West Springfield MA. I believe this is a discontinued item for them... they had some Large sizes left at at 30% discount. So if you're interested it might be worth contacting a WC store to see if they have any stock.

Rich Stewart
11-03-2009, 9:57 AM
I like to wear a two pocketed shirt open at the neck with deck shoes. Drives my wife crazy.

Al Wasser
11-03-2009, 10:26 AM
For winter, you might watch walmart or whatever for a nylon type jacket. Nylon or whatever it is properly called sheds chips and dust well. You might also look at a barber supply place for one of those jackets/smocks that your barber wears.

Sean Hughto
11-03-2009, 10:37 AM
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,330&p=49899

Matt Newton
11-03-2009, 11:04 AM
I bought the one from craft supply woodturnerscatalog.com. It has two large pocketas in the back and a pencil holder in the front. It works well for me.

Robert Parrish
11-03-2009, 11:42 AM
I bought the same one, Matt and it works great. I see a lot of turners using it in various videos.

Mike Golka
11-03-2009, 12:00 PM
LeeValley ones have nice pockets in the back to store small items such as tommy bars, calipers, etc. Love mine.

George Morris
11-03-2009, 1:17 PM
You can buy a nice smock on AAW web site . They work well ! G

Scott Conners
11-03-2009, 1:52 PM
I use a leather turner's apron that velcros around the neck. It has pockets on the inside, and a couple pen slots on the front that I use every day for my machinists rule and pencils. It can be overly warm in the summer, but I can't imagine a nylon smock is any different. I chose the apron because I can have a fan on my back. I picked it up from Manny's woodworking place (website) because it was a lot cheaper than Rockler. It works well to keep chips out of my shirt and neck.

Dolan Brown
11-03-2009, 9:35 PM
Being cheap, I took an old nylon windbreaker that zips up to the neck and cut the sleaves to 3/4 length. I works good but a tad warm in summer. My wife is making me a turner's smock. Similar to what the retailers sell.

George Clark
11-03-2009, 9:49 PM
Another vote for the AAW smock. GC

http://www.woodturner.org/shop/Products.asp?tCID=17

Bernie Weishapl
11-03-2009, 9:54 PM
Another vote for AAW smock. Works really well.

Larry Marley
11-03-2009, 10:22 PM
When I first tried to do inside out turning, I thought you wear your clothes inside-out to keep shavings out of your pockets. That works OK but the AAW smock works a little better.

Dan Forman
11-03-2009, 10:53 PM
I use this one from Packard, works fine. http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Category_Code=appr-aprons

Dan

Jerry Rhoads
11-04-2009, 10:05 AM
I like the smocks from Craft Supplies.
I have both the light and thicker ones.
My wife plans on making me some more similar to these.

She makes me keep one of the light ones out of the shop, (keeping it clean, without waxes, oils and other finishes all over it.) to take when I demonstrate at shows.

Jerry

Tim Browne
11-06-2009, 6:11 AM
My wife likes to sew so she made me one. Bought a short-sleeved medical scrubs top from wally world. Then she added a 3rd pocket, put flaps over the pockets and sewed in the neck from a cheap sweatshirt. Cost less than $20 and works great!