PDA

View Full Version : Update on Art Show (long version)

Steve Schlumpf
11-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Some of you may recall that I entered a regional juried art show awhile back. Of the three pieces I submitted, one of them was accepted to the show – this one: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=119631

When I originally posted the work, I also requested ideas for names - as naming your art seems to be the thing to do at these shows. Of all the really good suggestions that were offered, one really stood out and ended up being the one adopted. The name: Hope, suggested by Walt Caza! Thank you Walt as the name truly fit the turning!

Yesterday morning I received a phone call from the Bonifas Art Center. My first thoughts were that they had dropped the turning! Actually, they called to verify that I was planning to attend the reception as my artwork had been chosen to receive recognition. Really? That’s cool.

So, last night, the public reception/opening of the Northern Exposure XVI Art Show was held at the William Bonifas Fine Arts Center in beautiful downtown Escanaba, MI. My wife and I arrived fashionably late thanks to a very strong headwind for the duration of our 65 mile drive. When we arrived we were both surprised to find the place already very crowded with lots more folks driving around looking for a place to park. Cool!

We were warmly welcomed at the door by one of the staff and briefly told where everything was located as there was a large entry area with seating and a bar, a main showroom and a large upstairs showroom. I glanced around the room and saw a friend of mine from our turning club – Bill Wiard and his wife Edith. They both had artwork in the show, his being a large turned tree stump with turquoise inlay and she had a beautiful watercolor.

We all walked into the main showroom, picked up our name tags and started checking out the art. There was some amazing work being displayed and barely had time to walk around the lower gallery when they started the awards ceremony. This was the first art show I have been in where the artists actually could win cash awards as well as a shot at getting your own gallery show.

My friend, Bill Wiard, won an invitation to a big Petoskey Gallery Art Show coming up in February. Bill has been doing art shows and galleries for years and is fairly well known locally, but he was very happy for the opportunity to do a show south of the bridge!

I also managed to win something.

Out of all the awards, I like mine the best! I won one of four purchase prizes! My turning was bought by Bay de Noc Community College to become part of their permanent art collection! The collection display is alternated between their Escanaba campus and their Iron Mountain campus! I am thrilled that the piece was sold but even more elated that the piece isn’t going to some nice home where only the buyers can enjoy it – but is becoming a part of an art collection with lots of exposure! When you are trying to get your name out there as a turner - How cool is that!?!

132609 Bay de Noc's newest art collection addition - Hope.

132607 profile shot, presenter from Bay de Noc College, Bill Wiard

132608 132611 Bill's turned stump and Edith's watercolor!

Anyway, wanted to update everyone on the outcome of the art show and thank everyone once again for their support with all the name suggestions!

I seriously appreciate it! Thank you!

John Beaver
11-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Steve,
That's Awesome !!!
Congratulations !!!

Ted Calver
11-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Excellent...and well deserved!! Congratulations on your award. Let's hope it is the first of many.

Don Orr
11-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Fantastic Steve, very happy for you. Your hard work had paid off. Beautiful piece and well deserved.

Joe Aliperti
11-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Congratulations on your award, Steve. What an elegant piece! I missed your previous thread, so this is the first time I saw it. Inspiring!

Kenneth Whiting
11-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Congratulations are your achievement, very well deserved.

Glenn Weathington
11-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Congratulations, Steve! Beautiful piece and a well deserved award. The satisfaction of having one's work purchased by a public entity for others to enjoy is the best award though, Isn't it? Keep up the excellent work.

Glenn

Bill Bolen
11-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Fantastic news Steve. I am just thrilled for you. Hope this is just the beginning for your turned art with loads more recognition to come.....and hey, 'ya clean up real nice!....Bill...

Cody Colston
11-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Congratulations, Steve. A very deserving award.

I also missed seeing the piece the first time and I must say that it's absolutely stunning. (I did prefer the name "Black Ice", though :))

You also look right at home with all those artsy-fartsy types. Must be the hair. :D

Chris Stolicky
11-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Congrats.

It has to be a great, and satisfying feeling to have your work on display in an art exhibit.

I think you can officially say that you have a "Studio" now. :)

Steve Mawson
11-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Congratulations, hope you don't get you nose up in the air with all the accolades:D:D, just kidding of course.

Ken Glass
11-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Steve,
Your award was very well deserved. The piece is outstanding and it seemed like a wonderful night for you and your wife. We are all proud for you to be honored in this way. Well done!

Tony De Masi
11-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Major congratulations to you Steve. That's quite an accomplishment to go along with an absolutely wonderful piece of art that you made. And, maybe letting us name your pieces wasn't too bad an idea after all:D

Tony

Rob Cunningham
11-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Congratulations Steve. That's a very well deserved honor for you and a fantastic piece of artwork. Well done.

Maria Alvarado
11-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Steve that's terrific, and well-deserved recognition!! That piece deserves public display.
Congrats!

Toney Robertson
11-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Congrats.

Toney

David Walser
11-13-2009, 1:12 PM
Steve,

That's fantastic news. Your art will inspire lots of students for years to come.

Mark Hubl
11-13-2009, 1:33 PM
Congrats Steve. I knew the piece was special when you first posted it. Well done.

George Morris
11-13-2009, 2:35 PM
That is well deserved! Your work is terrific! You stretch the boundaries of turning and give us all something to strive for!

Good for you! G

Gary Herrmann
11-13-2009, 3:26 PM
Congratulations, Steve. Well deserved. Hopefully a lot more sales to come.

David E Keller
11-13-2009, 4:24 PM
Congratulations. I remembered the piece from your previous post and I still think about it from time to time. Inspiring work.

Scott Lux
11-13-2009, 4:27 PM
+1 on Congrats!

alex carey
11-13-2009, 4:57 PM
Congrats, your work definitely deserves it.

Bernie Weishapl
11-13-2009, 5:20 PM
Congrats Steve. It is well deserved. That is a beautiful piece and how awesome is that to be in a public display. Great job my friend.

Robert McGowen
11-13-2009, 5:50 PM
Congrats Steve. Hope this leads to even greater things! (I never would have guessed that you had that pony-tail following you around. You even look artistic!)

Ron Bontz
11-13-2009, 6:12 PM
Congrats on the award. Excellent.:)

Steve Schlumpf
11-13-2009, 6:13 PM
Thanks so much for the show of support everyone - I seriously appreciate it!

The events of the evening were a lot of fun and made exceptionally so because my wife, Colleen, and our youngest son, Ian, were both there to share in the moment. I don't know about everyone else but normally when I have really great moments - I am out standing in the woods all by myself, or fishing, and there is no one there to share the moment with! This was a nice change of pace and I honestly really enjoyed myself! It was our first time at this art center and we will most likely be back as it was a very friendly and welcoming event. We were both glad we attended!

Thanks again everyone! Your support and encouragement means everything!

Terry Rothwell
11-13-2009, 6:22 PM
Congratulations Steve!

Eugene Malone
11-13-2009, 6:31 PM
Congrats. Steve it is surley a great honour to have your work recognised, and then to be bought and put on permanent display for the gratification of others.
As we say here in Ireland, the cream always comes to the top. Great that you had your family with you RGds. Eugene.

Curt Fuller
11-13-2009, 6:50 PM
Congratulations on a well deserved honor. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Steve Trauthwein
11-13-2009, 7:25 PM
Congradulations Steve! Great recongition, and well deserved!

Regards, Steve

Ron McKinley
11-13-2009, 7:26 PM
Congratulations! Next thing we'll see you in del Mano Gallery! ......Ron

Richard Madison
11-13-2009, 7:27 PM
+1 what they all said. Fame and fortune will surely follow. Good thought that many will get to see your work!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-13-2009, 7:55 PM
Congrats Steve! A very well earned honor!

John Keeton
11-13-2009, 8:02 PM
ALRIGHT!!!
Steve, I told you that your work was jury quality!! This is a great accomplishment, and I am sure just the beginning of continued recognition of your beautiful work.

This may be a good time to buy one of your pieces, autographed and dated. In days to come, they may be unaffordable! Keep "turnin" 'em out!!

Dolan Brown
11-13-2009, 8:16 PM
Well deserved. That was a beautiful piece of art.

Joseph M Lary
11-13-2009, 8:39 PM
Very nice pieces, it deserved an award . Congradulations :)

Ryan Baker
11-13-2009, 8:39 PM
Congratulations Steve!

ROY DICK
11-13-2009, 9:07 PM
Steve,
Elated for you.
You, Sir, have truely inspired everyone that has admired your art work.
And now you are getting the recognition that you deserve.
What's next? A book or a dvd?
I'll be in a long line to get those.
A sincere congratulations from a fan.

Roy

Skip Spaulding
11-13-2009, 9:13 PM
Way TO GO!! Thanks for posting update, That was a very nice piece.

Ryan Baker
11-13-2009, 9:37 PM
What's next? A book or a dvd?

OOooooo! That's a great idea! I'd pay for the Steve Schlumpf hollowform masterclass DVD. Go fire up the camera Steve.

Steve Schlumpf
11-13-2009, 9:41 PM
You guys crack me up!!! Suppose I could do a book if I can find the grandkids color crayons and some paper!

gary Zimmel
11-13-2009, 9:48 PM
Congrats Steve!

Very well deserved...

Maylon Harvey
11-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Congrats Steve. A well deserved honor, but I'm not surprised.

John W Dixon
11-14-2009, 1:08 AM
Congratulations Steve! What a great honor and couldn't happen to a nicer guy. You are such a suppporter on this forum I am very happy for you to receive such a nice honor.

John

Glenn Clabo
11-14-2009, 5:03 AM
"I am thrilled that the piece was sold but even more elated that the piece isn’t going to some nice home where only the buyers can enjoy it –"

Trust me Steve...everyone that comes into our house walks right over to your piece on our mantle and really enjoys it.

Congrats on your award...and I'm sure we'll see more and more...I've always thought you do incrediable work and it's so nice to see you get any kind of public notice.

Jeff Nicol
11-14-2009, 5:19 AM
Steve, You have proven time and again, that your skills as a turner and artist to us here on the Creek! It is great that you will now be seen by many more and heralded as the wonderful turner and very nice person that you are!

Congratulations again! I will have to try one of those juried shows, just not sure if I have the nerve yet!

Jeff

John Timberlake
11-14-2009, 7:44 AM
Congratulations, Steve. It is really nice to have people appreciate your work. The honor is well deserved.

Mark Hix
11-14-2009, 8:28 AM
Congratulations Steve. It is a beautiful HF and you deserve the recognition.

Greg Just
11-14-2009, 8:29 AM
Nice job Steve - recognition like this has got to be a real motivator to continue the fine work you do. Well deserved!

Steve Schlumpf
11-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Once again I wanted to thank everyone for the show of support and all the kind words! Thank you!

Also, the staff photographer for the Bonifas Art Center posted a lot of his photos from the event and I wanted to add that link for those of you that might be interested:

http://www.bonifasarts.org/media/phototalbums/NorthernExposure16/gallery.html

A couple photos of interest:

Photo #2 is of my wife Colleen
Photo #16 is Bill Wiard receiving his Gallery Award
Photo #25 is of me receiving my Purchase Prize Award
Photo #33 is a group shot of all the winners and sponsors

Thanks again everyone!

Harvey Ghesser
11-15-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm really happy for you, Steve...congratulations!:):)

Joe Mioux
11-15-2009, 1:05 PM
I don't know how I missed this earlier.

Congratulations Steve. You are always inspiring others here at SMC and its great to see you earning well deserved recognition.

joe

Dan Forman
11-15-2009, 4:09 PM
Steve --- Guess I'm a little late, but congrats on the success with the show. It is well deserved, so cool to be part of a collection like that.

Dan

Gary Conklin
11-15-2009, 7:34 PM
Outstanding! An honor well deserved!