PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman air compressor

Betsy Yocum
10-02-2004, 5:07 PM
I've got a Craftsman 5hp, 20 gallon air compressor that I inherited. I'm having a garage sale next weekend and was going to put it out. I was told that I should not ask less than $200 for it. He had it about a month before I inherited it. I'm guessing it was used 3 or 4 times at the most. It's been sitting in my garage almost three years because I could not bring myself to part with it. But ---- now I can.

What's the general opinion about $200 - I have know grasp of what this type of machine should go for.

Thanks

Brian Hale
10-02-2004, 5:22 PM
Check the sears site and see if you find a match.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/search.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&verticalFullName=&keyword=air+compressor&displayTarget=searchresults&gobutton.x=22&gobutton.y=14

Charles McKinley
10-02-2004, 5:41 PM
Hi Betsy,

Do you have another compressor? I can't imagine not having at least one. I would go 60% of new and take anything offered over 40%. I know it has little use but it has been sitting for three years. Best of luck with your sale. My compressor like this is loud but has held up well. I have had it almost 15 years now.

Kelly C. Hanna
10-02-2004, 7:32 PM
I would start the price at $200, but be prepared to take $125-150 for it. 30 Gallon 6hp models are going for about $200 on ebay. You could get $150-175 there. Wish I had some extra cash, I'd take it off your hands. If the big table sells this week, I want it! I've got it on ebay right now, I better check and see what's up...:cool:

Betsy Yocum
10-02-2004, 8:41 PM
Kelly- since you are so close - if you are serious and want it - I'd take the $150 and hold it for you. You, of course, would have to come to Fort Worth - I DO NOT drive in Dallas - yikes!!!!

Otherwise I'll start at $200 and go from there.

Thanks for the advise.
Betsy

Jim Becker
10-02-2004, 10:04 PM
Betsy, is it an oiled type (likely belt drive) or an oil-free unit. If the former, it is worth a lot more than the latter. I'm only asking this specifically because of the potential age of the product since you didn't state the type. Older, but oiled is a good thing!

Kelly C. Hanna
10-02-2004, 10:09 PM
If you are in a hurry, I'd say try and sell it first then talk to me if you weren't successful. It would be awhile before I could come get it due to my schedule. I would love to have it but don't want you to have to miss an opportunity to sell it for more.

Betsy Yocum
10-02-2004, 11:49 PM
Betsy, is it an oiled type (likely belt drive) or an oil-free unit. If the former, it is worth a lot more than the latter. I'm only asking this specifically because of the potential age of the product since you didn't state the type. Older, but oiled is a good thing!
Jim - It's an oil free unit.

Kelly - I'll put it in the garage sale and stand firm at $200. If it does not sell -I'll put it back in the garage for you at $150 and call it payback for all the good advise I get from you and the rest of the creekers - how's that?:)

Kelly C. Hanna
10-03-2004, 7:20 AM
That's sounds like a plan Betsy, thanks!