PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Peppermills

Keith Palmer
12-27-2009, 5:40 PM
It has been a busy couple of months. I haven't had time to play with the pictures I took of the Christmas items I made until now. Here are 2 peppermills I made for my sister-in-laws. I wanted to do a different shape than the one I had been making so I went with this shape. Kind of plain (I know they kinda look like bowling pins:rolleyes:), but I think the simple curves work well with the laminated Purpleheart/Maple/Dyed black veneer. They are about 8" tall, 3" wide and are finished with several coats of precatalyzed lacquer. Wet sanded and Beal buffed then buffed with Ren wax. I also made the bases to go along with the mills. I think I will make these with all my mills as kind of my signature.

Please critique and let me know what you think!

http://kapsworkshop.wordpress.com/files/2009/12/img_6384.jpg

http://kapsworkshop.wordpress.com/files/2009/12/img_6387.jpg

http://kapsworkshop.wordpress.com/files/2009/12/img_6390.jpg

http://kapsworkshop.wordpress.com/files/2009/12/img_63941.jpg

John Keeton
12-27-2009, 5:46 PM
Keith, those are some of the best mills I have seen!! One would think the laminate design would be too busy, but it really works - and, works well! I think that a more intricate shape would not have worked as well.

The bases were a great idea, and I liked them on the others you did.

This shape reminds me of the old fashioned milk bottles!:D Got to be careful - showing my age!;)

Very nice! And, a great finish.

Brian George
12-27-2009, 5:54 PM
Keith,
I've made a lot of pepper mills but, those are some of the neatest ones I've seen - Great job. I'm also doing the little trays for droppings...

Steve Schlumpf
12-27-2009, 6:13 PM
Wow! Great looking mills! The gentle curves work well with the laminated woods! Your sister-in-laws must have been thrilled to receive these! Very nice work!

Brian Effinger
12-27-2009, 6:38 PM
Very nice. The look "swanky" to me. :) Don't ask me why - that is the first word that popped into my head.

Brian

Bernie Weishapl
12-27-2009, 6:40 PM
Keith those are beautiful. Don't see a thing to critque. Your SIL's had to be extremely happy with those.

John W Dixon
12-27-2009, 6:47 PM
Keith these are awesome. I do however like your previous design a tad better but that is not to say these aren't fantastic just that the other you have previously shown, to me is the pinnacle of any pepper grinder I have ever seen. Great job again!

John

Ron Lynch
12-27-2009, 7:25 PM
Looks like you rolled a "300". Nice work

David E Keller
12-27-2009, 8:52 PM
I love the mills. These may be my favorites of any that I've seen. The laminate looks great and the finish is perfect

Curt Fuller
12-27-2009, 8:52 PM
Oh man, those are very cool!

Dan Forman
12-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Very nice work. Purple heart and maple go so well together. I saw bowling pins too, or old fashioned glass milk bottles. I agree that the simple shape works well with the busier laminated blanks. Love the little trays for them to sit in.

Dan

Mike Golka
12-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Great looking mills, I like em.

gary Zimmel
12-27-2009, 11:50 PM
Those are real sweet looking mills Keith.
Next time I make a few I hope you don't mind if I steal the design..

Keith Palmer
12-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks everyone for the great comments!

Those are real sweet looking mills Keith.
Next time I make a few I hope you don't mind if I steal the design..

No problem Gary! I laid it all out on paper to make sure the layers lined up where I wanted. Just PM me if you need any help, I could try to scan my layout.

Keith these are awesome. I do however like your previous design a tad better but that is not to say these aren't fantastic just that the other you have previously shown, to me is the pinnacle of any pepper grinder I have ever seen. Great job again!

John

WOW! Thanks John. Everyone seems to like the other design a lot. I just needed to do something different, now if only I could find time to get some done ahead of time, so people could choose from what I had instead of waiting for me to put some together.

Mike Minto
12-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Keith, now that I have my balance back (wavy! :p), I can say excellent work on the mills! Great laminate design, and their shape is very pleasing as well. I think the bases are a great way to 'identify' your work - and help keep the place clean, too.