PDA

View Full Version : HF Retractable Air Hose...

John Grabowski
01-21-2010, 5:19 PM
I was wondering if anyone out there has a harbor freight retractable air hose? This is the one I like. (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93897) This weekend, there is a 15% off one item coupon fluttering around the online world and I thought this would be a good time to get one...I dont have 300 to spend on a commercial one and use it about once a week in my shop.

I just want to make sure that it isnt junk and a worthwhile product before I waste money on it. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John G

Van Huskey
01-21-2010, 5:29 PM
It is a HF "gem" can't go wrong especially with a coupon.

Myk Rian
01-21-2010, 5:34 PM
Why get 15% when you can get 20% ?
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/common/displayPage.do?pageFile=magurl3.html

Ray Newman
01-21-2010, 5:34 PM
Woodcraft has a Retractable 39' Polyurethane Air Hose Reel for US $69.99.

Item #150316

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080334/28618/Retractable-39--Polyurethane-Air-Hose-Reel.aspx

Myk Rian
01-21-2010, 5:40 PM
Woodcraft has a Retractable 39' Polyurethane Air Hose Reel for US $69.99.

Item #150316

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080334/28618/Retractable-39--Polyurethane-Air-Hose-Reel.aspx
1/4" hose.

Stephen Edwards
01-21-2010, 6:40 PM
It is a HF "gem" can't go wrong especially with a coupon.

Ditto!!!! A friend of mine has one that's he's been using for several years with no complaints.

Myk: Thanks for the heads up on the 20% off coupon.

Steven DeMars
01-21-2010, 6:48 PM
How do you guys get by the "SMELL" emitted by Harbor Freight plastics & rubber . . . I have now bought and returned or given away HF products because the smell overtakes your shop/garage . . .

Steve

Chris Tsutsui
01-21-2010, 6:56 PM
Thanks for the tips, I want one now.

HF smell goes away in a month, I got some solid rubber wheel chocks from HF and they smelled up my whole garage like a combination of poop and body odor.

It was so bad I left them outside in the shade to air dry and sprayed them with protectant so they wouldn't dry out. I think in a week they were fine. haha

John Coloccia
01-21-2010, 7:51 PM
I had one of those for years when I was airplane building. Worked flawlessly for me. Loved it. Would buy another one.

Myk Rian
01-21-2010, 8:02 PM
How do you guys get by the "SMELL" emitted by Harbor Freight plastics & rubber . . .
Never had the problem here.

Thad McCulloch
01-21-2010, 11:05 PM
That's the exact one I got about 6 months ago for around $50 when it was on sale and I had a coupon. Works great. Fairly heavy sucker with all that hose and metal. I mounted mine on top of my mobile air compressor cart, although the hose is long enough that I don't need to roll the cart around very much any more.

Bob Haskett
01-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Never had the problem here.

I have. The other day I bought a 8 gallon 2hp air compressor from there and had it in the cab of my truck in the back. WOW that made my truck smell for days. It still smells...

Todd Franks
01-21-2010, 11:54 PM
How do you guys get by the "SMELL" emitted by Harbor Freight plastics & rubber . . . I have now bought and returned or given away HF products because the smell overtakes your shop/garage . . .
Steve

Now that you mention it, I guess the HF store and the few items I've purchased there do have a unique smell.

I just want to make sure that it isnt junk and a worthwhile product before I waste money on it. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

I've always wanted a retractable hose reel but have never been willing to spend top dollar for one. I've never bought one because I've worried about the "slip joint" leaking on the less expensive models. Based upon the "no problem here" responses maybe my concern is unfounded. For those that have this HF model, does it leak air? Will it hold air indefinitely without cycling your air compressor?

-Todd

Dave Cav
01-21-2010, 11:55 PM
I have 3 of them in the shop, one at each end, and one in the center adjacent to the assembly table. I bought them over a couple of years whenever they went on sale then hooked them all up when I got a new compressor and plumbed my shop with copper. No problems at all with them. BUT...25 feet of hose sounds like a lot, but it's not, especially when the hose reel is 8 feet up in the air.

Dave Lehnert
01-22-2010, 12:23 AM
I have that exact unit and it works well and hold air with no problem.

The smell of the extra money I saved at HF more than covers it. :D

Mike Cruz
01-22-2010, 12:32 AM
John, I have that exact one and it is actually pretty nice. Much better than the ones in plastic casings. Oh, and it is pretty heavy, so make sure you have adequate support wherever you hang it.