PDA

View Full Version : First turning

Mark Kelly
11-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Here is a handle I turned from sugar maple for one of the files that Walt found for me. This is the first turning that I have ever done! I have 4 to go, but I needed a test one to try to get it right. Although I made quite a few mistakes, it still looks ok. I laugh ever time I see the handle cause I don't think it will work very well because you have to hold it too far away from the blade. However, we shall see what happens in real use.

So far it is only finished with one coat of BLO. Tonight I will put on another coat of BLO and early next week will cover it with shellac.

Below the handle you see a part of a elm log that will be my next turning project...a small bowl (or two)!

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq99/file1.jpg

David Wilson
11-05-2004, 10:47 AM
Mark
Looks good to me. Look out or you might become addicted.

Mark Kelly
11-05-2004, 10:49 AM
I think I already am! I am looking to make my own lathe hopefully in the spring. Still working on the plans. I only have 4 more hours to use a lathe in the next two weeks, so by spring I will be itching to do more!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-05-2004, 10:58 AM
Looks good to me Mark!

Chris Padilla
11-05-2004, 2:13 PM
Nice curves, Mark! How does it feel in your palm?

Mark Kelly
11-05-2004, 2:56 PM
It does feel good in my palm, but the neck might be too long. We'll see when in use!

John Miliunas
11-06-2004, 12:12 AM
1st turning, huh? Don't look nuttin' like my first! :rolleyes: Nice job and looks like it will be quite functional, as well! Good work. :)

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-06-2004, 11:29 PM
Ditto to all of the above.

Hey guys and gals....................WE GOT US A Nothern'...............HEHEHEHE!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce