PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here attended the Wooden Boat School in Brooklin ME

Dan O'Sullivan
04-26-2010, 8:46 PM
Hello all
I am debating what course I would like to attend at the WBS in Maine. I know the basic fundamentals course is good but I want to jump into the lapstrake course.

I am an experience furniture maker, with limited boat building skills.

Any comments/advice would be appreciated. Love to hear from an alumnus from Virginia, NC or SC. I have lots of questions.

Thanks
dan

Nate Carey
04-28-2010, 7:07 AM
Dan, as you can see I'm not from any of the three states you listed, but being of common Irish ancestry you may find my advice credible (or not).

The WoodenBoat School experience is unique and worthwhile regardless of the course(s) you choose to take. Everything from accommodations and food to just sitting and enjoying the view from the deck of the boathouse with new friends is "pure gold" for the wooden boat enthusiast.

Consider weighting your decision about course choice toward the instructor. The available wealth of knowledge and experience can not be matched anywhere else. Nate

Dan O'Sullivan
05-28-2010, 9:13 PM
Nate
Things are a bit tight here in NC right now so I don't think I can make Maine this summer. By the way, I get back to Alstead/Marlow most summers to see old friends most every year. I have always wanted to get to the WBS but things have been in the way.
My mothers family is from the Bath area and I have traveled between Brunswick and Camden many times. I hope I can get to the WBS soon.

I am really drawn to the lapstrake stuff. I have read all of the John Gardner stuff and I am eager to get some "hands on" training going. Lofting is understandable but... I think I need some adult supervision.

Its coming soon.

dan

Randy Hock
05-28-2010, 10:39 PM
The Wooden Boat School program I attended was a week course on lapstrake boat building Cullison was the instructor. I thought at the time that I should attempt to go every year. Ahh, life gets in the way...... It was worth every penny but pennies were easier to come by then. What you see and learn in a week if enough to give you the confidence to tackle just about anything.

Randy

Now of Charlotte