PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0548Z DC Owners db level?

Kenneth Moar
06-16-2010, 2:05 PM
Hello

I may be ordering a Grizz G0548Z 2hp DC. Grizzzly specs the sound level at 74 db. That seems like a nice quiet machine for a DC , could anyone with experience with this or other Grizzly DC , comment on this.
Are sound level ratings generally accurate, or are they more of a ballpark type rating. Seems like a decent machine at a good price quiet or not.

Thanks for any help!

Van Huskey
06-16-2010, 2:45 PM
Hello

I may be ordering a Grizz G0548Z 2hp DC. Grizzzly specs the sound level at 74 db. That seems like a nice quiet machine for a DC , could anyone with experience with this or other Grizzly DC , comment on this.
Are sound level ratings generally accurate, or are they more of a ballpark type rating. Seems like a decent machine at a good price quiet or not.

Thanks for any help!

I don't own one and can't comment directly put the problem with SPL ratings like this one is they don't give the required info to make them useful. You need to know the distance it was measured at and the reflective environment the measurement was taken in. For example I see lots of DCs in the corner of a shop, this reinforces some of the wavelengths and can increase the SPL in some areas of the shop.

Hopefully somone with one also has a SPL meter and can get a reading for you with more information than Grizzly gives. The one useful thing about SPL levels like Grizzly gives is they normally are useful in comparing across their line of tools, as one would assume they test in a resonably similar way.

Bill Blackburn
06-16-2010, 3:13 PM
what Van says ---- best you can hopefully do is find a magazine review since supposedly they all comp'd in similar manner.

My Penn is rated 65dba. It's close to what a friend metered it at several times but the lowest we got was 68. Plenty low for a DC and bothers me not at all when on

Lance Norris
06-16-2010, 10:19 PM
I have that DC and its not jet engine loud, but its certainly not quiet either. Routers are louder... Id say it equalls my cabinet saw for volume. I have a basement shop, and my wife doesnt complain when I run it, but the cats arent real happy. I will say its a quality machine and sure sucks better than the small Delta it replaced.