PDA

View Full Version : Grandfather clock build

Montgomery Scott
06-18-2010, 4:01 PM
I can't take much credit for the build as it was an Emperor kit. My FIL used to make clock kits as a hobby many years ago. Last year we helped them clean out their cluttered garage and I found the still unopened boxes for this Emperor kit. He did not remember when he bought the kit, but the date on the drawings was 1978. It turned out fairly well, but there was some frustrating parts of the build. It was also a little disappointing that much of the body was made of narrow strips ~2" wide glued together instead of solid wide panels and also the fact that sap wood was present on the exterior of the build, certainly not something any of us would permit if building one. The movement is a high quality West German made triple chime triple weight movement, though all it says is Emperor.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/149/l_5023bb1f07414506928b4f63cfee526a.jpghttp://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/138/l_dc9cbcffc3834cc9aedf1c68b3d8794c.jpg

Jim Rimmer
06-18-2010, 4:14 PM
Nice looking clock.

John Keeton
06-18-2010, 4:15 PM
Montgomery, I have one just like that!!! Bought the case kit in 1984 as I recall, and it went without a movement for about 15 years. Then, I bought the movement and it stayed in the box for 5-6 years. About 3 years ago, I installed the movement and it ran great - for about 3 months! I think the lubrication had dried up on the gears, and something hung or broke.

I think I will wait another 5-6 years to get it fixed just to keep the tradition!

You did a great job on this one! The movement is probably a Hermle. Do you have the side panels for the hood?

Montgomery Scott
06-18-2010, 4:40 PM
Yes I have the side panels, but forgot to install them for the photo. The clock has been running for a few months now and I almost have the accuracy dialed in. Right now it's running about 1.5 minute/week fast so one more half turn ought to bring it in close.

Tom Winship
06-18-2010, 5:42 PM
Montgomery, I have one just like that!!! Bought the case kit in 1984 as I recall, and it went without a movement for about 15 years. Then, I bought the movement and it stayed in the box for 5-6 years. About 3 years ago, I installed the movement and it ran great - for about 3 months! I think the lubrication had dried up on the gears, and something hung or broke.

John, my story is almost as good. I have the same clock that my father had started before he passed away in 1973. I moved the carcase from Houston-Midland-Houston-College Station where it still stands in the corner of my shop.
Where do I get a movement that will fit it? Any help is appreciated and you guys have inspired me. I think I might finish it and leave it to my only grandson as a link to his great-grandfather.

Montgomery Scott
06-18-2010, 6:00 PM
I think klockit.com has the best selection for movements.

Dell Littlefield
06-19-2010, 8:20 AM
Tom, your kit from 1973 would have needed a Jauch movement. They are no longer in business but a Hermle movement can be substituted. The case needs to be altered a little to accept the Hermle movement and dial. These alterations are pretty simple and can be accomplished after the case is assembled. I retrofitted many of them when I had my store. It has been about 15 years since I retired but as I recall, only the mounting system was involved and was not complicated.

Bud Millis
06-21-2010, 12:16 AM
Very nice job.