PDA

View Full Version : Forum idea... "My SMC"

Dan Hintz
07-13-2010, 8:53 AM
On almost every other forum I'm on that uses vBulletin, there is a page customized specifically to my interests, usually called "My yadda yadda yadda". It's the first thing I'm directed to after logging in (or where I directly surf to on sites I stay logged in, such as this one), and it contains links to the most recent posts of threads I have contributed to, as well as links to only the forums I've specified. This prevents me from seeing the entire list of available forums (unless I want to) every time... I'm not a Neanderthal hand tool user,for example, so I would rarely visit said forum.

Now that I'm visiting more than one forum on a regular basis, I'd like to make it a bit easier to get around. I'm assuming this is a plug-in for vB? Any chance we could get it installed?

Glenn Clabo
07-13-2010, 9:11 AM
If you click on "New Posts" you can exclude all the forums you don't want to visit....then search for new posts. You can also save the setup.

Dan Hintz
07-13-2010, 9:19 AM
Glenn,

I saw this thread as I dug deeper:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=127139

It mentions the "updated thread" bit, but it was unclear to me how to access the option. I'll have to do some digging in my CP...

Belinda Barfield
07-13-2010, 9:24 AM
Dan,

The first place I go when I stop by SMC is my User CP, that way I can immediately see updates to the threads to which I have subscribed.

Dan Hintz
07-13-2010, 9:28 AM
Ah, I see the "New Posts" link now... in the middle of the helper bar at the top of every page. If what I suggested in my original post cannot be easily done (at least with Aaron's tight schedule), I would at least like to see the forums I choose to be saved, as suggested in the thread I linked to from 6 months ago... selecting the forums I don't care about each time is just as annoying as having to go to each one to check for new threads.

Dan Hintz
07-13-2010, 9:31 AM
Belinda,

Does the CP allow you to list specific forums in the "subscribed threads" area? I don't want to subscribe to every thread I post in just to see responses, it should be done for me automatically.

It sounds like the functionality I desire is in there, I just can't figure out how/where it's located.

Belinda Barfield
07-13-2010, 9:38 AM
Belinda,

Does the CP allow you to list specific forums in the "subscribed threads" area? I don't want to subscribe to every thread I post in just to see responses, it should be done for me automatically.

It sounds like the functionality I desire is in there, I just can't figure out how/where it's located.

If you can list specific forums I, like you, haven't figured it out yet. :)

The CP lists only threads with new replies that you haven't viewed. It also gives you the option to reply or unsubscribe.

Matt Meiser
07-13-2010, 9:45 AM
Ah, I see the "New Posts" link now... in the middle of the helper bar at the top of every page. If what I suggested in my original post cannot be easily done (at least with Aaron's tight schedule), I would at least like to see the forums I choose to be saved, as suggested in the thread I linked to from 6 months ago... selecting the forums I don't care about each time is just as annoying as having to go to each one to check for new threads.

It will save them if you check the "Save above options" checkbox.