PDA

View Full Version : New Bow Saw Build

Tim Null
10-29-2010, 8:58 PM
I know, another bow saw build thread. Well, here is mine. Arms are hard maple. Stretcher is brazillian cherry. Knobs and winder are cocobolo.

I took the basic design from TFWW. I actually have their saw. But it is smaller. This one uses the Traditional Woodworker blade, which is over 15" long.

For hardware, I used a dowel with an eyehook. A little CA glue in the hole and the eyehook is secure. A washer, bolt and nut secure the blade. I got both the rip and crosscut blades.

I hand shaped the arms using Nicholson rasps. The knobs were power shaped with mini grinder and then finished with rasps. 80 lb braided fishing line is used to tension it.

It cuts well. I am happy with the outcome. I know it looks too pretty for a working tool, but that's how I roll....

Remember my shooting board? It also looks too nice, but I like things I use to look finished. Besides, my wife won't let me make any furniture for the house, so I am relegated to making stuff for me. My recent saw bench is hard maple and red oak.

I just finished a panel saw kit from Mike W, I'll post pictures soon.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h76/tnull5/IMG_1864.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h76/tnull5/IMG_1863.jpg

Robert Culver
10-29-2010, 9:48 PM
nice looking saw I just finshed up mine a few days ago my computer went down on me so I am usin a shared computer other wise I would post some pics of it I made mine from hickory. The winder and handles are made of curly maple and walnut i had John Keeton make the handles for me he did a outstanding job and is a true profesional.A wonderful guy to work with. I guess I cant say enough about how pleased I was. You Can tell he loves his work.Once I get everything straightened around I have a few things i would like to post.

Gary Hodgin
10-29-2010, 10:32 PM
That's one nice looking bow saw. Great Job!

george wilson
10-29-2010, 10:39 PM
If you can make a nice saw like that,it is surprising that your wife won't let you make some furniture! That COULD be a blessing,though! I don't really care to make furniture that much,but somehow have made quite a bit,it seems.

Tim Null
10-29-2010, 11:02 PM
I guess so. My shop has a nice hard maple bench with cabinets with walnut drawer faces. Miter saw stand with the same. My portable assembly table and router table are all outfitted with walnut faced drawers.

She is very particular and no patience for waiting. She no sooner discusses a possible build than she finds the piece she wants and buys it.

One of these days I will just make something I want and either put it in the house or give it to a relative.....LOL

I did do custom pantry pullouts. Hard maple and baltic birch with dowel accents on the front. She liked those, but they are only visible if you open the cupboard doors.

Brian Ashton
10-30-2010, 8:16 AM
Where did you get your blades from?

Tim Null
10-30-2010, 3:54 PM
The blades are from Traditional Woodworker. I got the crosscut and rip.