PDA

View Full Version : Sealing Brew for Wet wood

robert raess
11-07-2010, 12:10 PM
I like 'Sealtite' for sealing wet wood, but am too cheap, or rather spend that money on tools.I've played with diff. concoctions to seal the wet wood.Paint doesn't allow me to see the grain of the wood.I'm looking for a 'recipe' that moves with the wood like sealtite,has some wax-like properties.Any ideas? thanks rob

Dennis Ford
11-07-2010, 12:49 PM
I use anchorseal, a gallon goes a long way. I have tried latex paint, it did not seal very good and like you said; it hides the grain. Paraffin works really well but you have to melt it before applying; I don't know if it saves any money. Once when I was away from home and did not have anchorseal with me, I used latex caulk. It worked pretty good but was messy, hid the grain and probably cost more than anchorseal.

Cody Colston
11-07-2010, 1:04 PM
Anchorseal.

There's a reason you find it used at nearly every sawmill.

robert raess
11-07-2010, 2:47 PM
Is Anchorseal similar to sealtite?Is it a special order item?Is it avail. to Home depot, true value etc? thanks rob

Bernie Weishapl
11-07-2010, 2:59 PM
Robert can't tell ya if it is the same or not. Anchorseal is a water/waxy mix that seals well. Home Depot, Lowes, True Value doesn't carry it as far as I know. I get mine from Craft Supply USA, Packard Woodworks, or Woodcraft.

Gene Hintze
11-07-2010, 3:16 PM
Sealtite seems to be Klingspors store brand of end grain sealer. Costs about $15/gallon (it may have been on sale when I bought it) and I find it much easier to work with than Anchorseal. With anchorseal you have soak your brush for a while before it loosens up and you can apply the product. With Sealtite your brush does not get as stiff. They work equally well in preventing checking from what I have seen.

Bruce Pratt
11-07-2010, 9:48 PM
Gene,

I just keep my anchorseal brush sealed in an empty anchorseal gallon can. I haven't had any problem with the brush drying out or getting stiff.
--------------
Bruce

Ken Fitzgerald
11-07-2010, 10:19 PM
You can order anchorseal directly from US Coatings http://www.uccoatings.com/Home/Products/Anchorseal

Bill Bulloch
11-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Our turning club buys anchorseal by the 55 gal drum. Then members buy it from the club at cost: about $8.00 a gal.

Bill Boehme
11-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Our woodturning club buys Anchorseal by the 55 gallon drum and then club members pay for how much they use. Due to increases in freight charges the price has gone up significantly over the past several years. Five years ago, it came out to around $6 per gallon and now it is around $9. Of course, that is the final price and is much cheaper than buying it at a local woodworking ermporium where sales tax would also apply.

Anchorseal is simply a water emulsion of soft wax, probably mostly paraffin. It can be mopped onto the wood with a brush, rag, paper towel, or bare hand. It is white when applied and quickly turns transparent as the water either evaporates or soaks into the wood.

Scott Hackler
11-07-2010, 10:51 PM
hmmm. Not to self, talk to turning club about a group buy for a 55 gal drum of anchorseal! WOW that is cheap per gallon.

Reed Gray
11-08-2010, 12:02 PM
I have been using old cans of finish that I will never use other wise, and have not set up in the cans yet. Old oil finish, water based varathane, Thompsons water seal, and a couple of others that people have 'given' me. Works fine, the penetrating oils seem to do the best.

robo hippy

Ron Rutter
11-09-2010, 1:26 AM
Oil based paints work better than latex which are meant to breath I believe. Have any others tried Thompsons water seal? I have a gallon of the stuff & never thought to try it. Ron.