PDA

View Full Version : Plane Tune up victory!

James Phillips
11-07-2010, 3:18 PM
For you long time neanders this may not seem like a big deal, but some times you figure something out by trial and error and you are just like I gotta share this.

Well I have a #4, #5 , #6, and #7. After several sharpening cycles I got to thinking about how I can sharpen and set these (as a set) to maximize my pleasure and efficiency, so here is what I did. The #4 and #7 are set with little camber and a light cut, where as the #5, and #6 are set with more camber for a aggressive cut (not quite a scrub, thats coming for Christmas). With this set up and my new home made mahogany winding sticks I can flatten wide boards in short order.:)

I love learning to use my tools

Andrew Gibson
11-07-2010, 3:34 PM
It is amazing what you can do when you get the planes set up to suit you. My #3, #4, and #7 set up with just a bit of camber like you, one of my #5's with a lot of camber, the other with a moderate amount of camber. I have #6c on the way, won it last night on the bay for $20. It's a Fulton not a Stanley, but should make a good user. Now I want to get a low angle jack for use as a dedicated shooting plane. A scrub plane will make its way into the set eventually as well, but most likely after some for of rabbit and plow.

Robert Culver
11-07-2010, 3:39 PM
Awsome sounds like you have got a system down. thats half the battle the other half is just the work itself. Once you get your scrub you will be able to work that in with no problems.:)

Joseph Klosek
11-07-2010, 6:48 PM
My #6 has a fairly heavy camber. About 1/16" across the width. My #5 is set to take a slightly heavier cut than that. I have found that the #6 takes care of almost all my initial work in rather short order. I only bring out the #5 for those pieces with bad cupping or twist.

I have a #40 but almost never use it for preparing lumber. Mostly use it for hogging off an edge or,when I was a carpenter,backing out mouldings.

The more you get into it you may experience similar results and can take the cash saved from a scrub plane purchase and buy some wood.

J.P.