PDA

View Full Version : Pics for (Good Wood Opportunity Or Not?????)

Christopher K. Hartley
11-28-2010, 3:06 PM
Earlier I had posted a question about some ironwood. Some of you had asked me about what I had specifically in this wood. Well I'm no expert here so the pics may help you to ID and I am open to being educated. Here they are:

Cody Colston
11-28-2010, 3:10 PM
Those leaves and the log look like Elm to me.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-28-2010, 3:14 PM
Those leaves and the log look like Elm to me.They did to me as well when I saw it but, trust me, It isn't anything like elm.:)

Allen stagg
11-28-2010, 3:16 PM
Yes, it looks more like elm to me also. Good turning wood.

Ken Hill
11-28-2010, 3:17 PM
The bark is alot different then what I have here that Leo ID'd as one of the Hopthorn species.

Robert Culver
11-28-2010, 4:07 PM
its been a long time since i have been in texas but it looks like mexican ash to me....

Leo Van Der Loo
11-28-2010, 4:26 PM
Earlier I had posted a question about some ironwood. Some of you had asked me about what I had specifically in this wood. Well I'm no expert here so the pics may help you to ID and I am open to being educated. Here they are:

Christopher I would say you do have a Hophornbeam log there.

The bark kind of threw me off at first glance, though the leaves certainly resemble Hophornbeam and, Birch, and yes also like Elm.

The picture of the pieces standing upright make me think it is Hophornbeam, thin bark and yes the bark doe look like Hophornbeam if the flaking strips that are present in a sheltered position are knocked off.

Anyway it is my best guess without actually being able to see the whole tree.

I'm going to add another picture that shows another typical thing with Hophornbeam trees when they get old,(the broken off branches overgrown) this picture is also at my sons place where the other pictures where taken.

I think you can also see more of a resemblance of the bark of this one with what you are showing where the bark flakes are less prominent HTH :D

Fred Perreault
11-28-2010, 7:19 PM
The leaves, the bark and the cross section of the log looks like the hornbeam we have in plentiful supply here on the Cape. It is ususlly near a wetland, but it does not have wet feet. It is tougher than nails, and usually grows quite straight. It has often times been used for pilings along the shore, or other straight, tough log uses. It does not have very many big limbs, but is laced with skinny suckers for most of its' length.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-28-2010, 7:37 PM
Thanks Guys, I will probably try to turn a bowl or two and see how it does.:)