PDA

View Full Version : Gluing Time

Greg Just
01-22-2011, 1:11 PM
If one glues a waste block with Titebond II to the bottom of some kiln dried wood to make a bowl, how long for clamping and how long until you can turn it? Both surfaces are very flat. We all say overnight, but is it 2 hours or 8 hours? :confused:

Thanks!

Mark Burge
01-22-2011, 1:20 PM
Perhaps you should ask your insurance agent :-) Really, it depends on a lot of things. What glue are you using? How big is the waste block? Is the joint nice and flat or are there gaps to fill? I would only try to turn quickly if I had a very flat glue joint on a well balance blank over a small diameter block (i.e. one that just fit my chuck), and using quick set epoxy. Even then, I would stay out of the line of fire as much as possible. Then I would probably say, forget it and do something else until tomorrow.

Lee Koepke
01-22-2011, 2:15 PM
yeah, titebond usually 'sets' in about an hour ... but putting the joint under stress in the first day is kinda risky. I typically allow any glue joint to set up overnight before I put any stresses on it.

Steve Schlumpf
01-22-2011, 5:10 PM
Just went down and grabbed my bottle and it says to clamp for 30 minutes but not to stress the joint for 24 hours.