PDA

View Full Version : My Newest Elm bowl

Ron Stadler
01-25-2011, 7:43 PM
This American elm bowl measures 8 1/2" x 4 3/8" at base of foot, it has about 8 coats of WOP. Wasn't real sure where I wanted to go with this one, was gonna give a short pedastol and decided on a walnut foot instead, pretty happy with it though.:)

Harry Robinette
01-25-2011, 7:51 PM
Ron
Really nice I like the rolled edge,also the lift the foot gives it. Nicely done.
Harry

Roger Chandler
01-25-2011, 7:55 PM
Nice bowl Ron! I like the form, the rim treatment, embellishment in the ring around it, and also the foot. I would prefer a foot of the same wood, but the form of the foot does work well. Nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
01-25-2011, 9:04 PM
Really nice Ron. I do like the rim treatment and form.

David E Keller
01-25-2011, 9:12 PM
Nice job, Ron. The embellishment looks really crisp, and I like the fact that you framed it with the dark lines. I'm not a big fan of the foot, but that's not unusual for me. All in all, it's a great looking bowl.

Curt Fuller
01-25-2011, 9:17 PM
Wow, I sure like that textured ring. Like DK, I'm not 100% on the walnut foot, but the rest of it sure is pretty.

Roland Martin
01-25-2011, 9:38 PM
Nice job on this bowl, Ron. The rim & the band are nice effects.

dan carter
01-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Nice shape. Finish came out looking good.

Baxter Smith
01-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Nice shape to the bowl and pretty wood. Th rim and texturing add a little extra!

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Nice work Ron! Really like your detail ring! Very clean!

Ron Stadler
01-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Thanks guys, actually the foot is going to be a bit darker than shown hear and a little shinier, wasn't quite done with the coats of poly on it and I do think this project looks much better in person. But that said all comments are welcome, is it the shape of the foot you guys didn't like or that it is walnut? The bowl does have a little bit of a flatter bottom, so maybe it didn't need a foot:confused:

Baxter Smith
01-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Since you asked I will add my thoughts on the foot. I see three colors when I look at the bowl. The black rings, the textured part and the main form. The walnut adds a fourth. I prefer two or three max but thats JMO.
Because the foot is thick/tall it stands out as a major feature rather than a subtle detail. Slightly narrower and much shorter might give a little lift if needed but I think it could stand on its own.

Bill Hensley
01-26-2011, 7:16 AM
Ron nicely done, very attractive bowl. Excellent job on the texturing! Have to agree with Baxter's remarks on the foot, the shape and color have become a distraction not an embellishment. Just saying ...

Ron Stadler
01-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Thanks Baxter and Bill and everyone, I need the bad with the good. The foot I might add has become a lot darker with the additional coats of poly that it needed, I had about 8 on the rest of the project and only 2 on the foot when I took the pictures, but I still have to agree that perhaps in didn't need a foot at all.

John Keeton
01-26-2011, 6:53 PM
Ron, I think the bowl would do fine with a small foot of elm. It is a well done bowl, and the textured ring is very nice. Baxter's comment on the max of three colors is kind of a "standard rule" with most things - including home decorators - no more than three colors, etc. It applies pretty well in turnings, too. But, overall, you did very well with the whole project IMO.