PDA

View Full Version : Double sided tape options

Rob Holcomb
01-29-2011, 7:50 PM
Hello all, I'm making a circle cutting jog for use with a router to make some cutting boards that are round. Every jig I've seen requires drilling a hole for the pivot which I can't do with a cutting board. I thought I would mount the pivot pin to a block of wood and then attach the wood to the board with double sided tape. Obviously I would need to compensate on the router end for the additional height of the block and make sure the router bit is long enough to make it through the thickness of the board but my question is, which brand of double sided tape would give the best holding power for this type of application. Thanks in advance.

John Coloccia
01-29-2011, 7:59 PM
I use Woodcraft's double sided tape. Not the fabric one because I found it's too tacky and leaves some gunk behind. This is what I use for jigs:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000848/3905/Double-Sided-Tape-1-x-36-Yards.aspx

It's about as thin as masking tape, and holds VERY well. I keep a thin, flexible palette knife around to help separate it if I have to, but normally I don't have to. It will only take a few squares to hold securely if the surfaces are clean and dust free. You will use too much the first time anyway, like I did, and learn just how well this tape works :)

BUT, that's not how I would do it. I would use a jig to make a round template. Then I would use the template to mark the cutting board, and cut close to the line on a bandsaw. Finally, I would stick the template to the board with double sided tape and use a router with a bearing bit to clean it up. You can simply stick the template on the board and bandsaw it like that, being careful not to harm your template, but if you were going to make several of these, it probably makes sense to assembly line it (i.e. do all the rough bandsaw cuts first).

Now, you can use a thin piece of wood for your template and the depth of the router bit should not be a concern. If you need to, you can temporarily back the template with a thicker piece of wood for purposes of cutting it out, i.e. giving the pin a bit more wood to seat into, and then separate them when you're done.

pat warner
01-29-2011, 7:59 PM
Make a templet (if all the same size) and clamp in place.
You're lookin' for trouble with any sort of temporary clamp (adhesive).

Bill Huber
01-29-2011, 8:39 PM
I am with John, I would make an MDF template and cut it on the band saw first. I like using this little thing from Rockler when doing templates on the band saw.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18055&filter=band%20saw

I use the tape that Eagle America sells, it comes off very nice with nothing left behind.

mickey cassiba
01-30-2011, 7:43 AM
I am with John, I would make an MDF template and cut it on the band saw first. I like using this little thing from Rockler when doing templates on the band saw.

I like that Bill! Thanks.