PDA

View Full Version : Table tops failed

Ron Knutson
02-15-2011, 4:59 PM
Last year I did three matching tables for a friend in oak. Two roughly 20" x 26" and one 31" x 47". The two end tables were lacated over heat registers in the floor and have the most seperation at the glue joints. I used standard Tightbond series 1 and biscuits but they are still shrinking. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. The photos ahow them unfinished but the general construction is 4 to 6 four inch boards edge glued together and a 3 inch board on each end tounge and groove glued perpindicular to the others.

Philip Rodriquez
02-15-2011, 5:18 PM
Here is your problem "...3 inch board on each end tounge and groove glued perpindicular to the others..."

Your construction choice does not allow the wood to exand and contract. Please let me know if you need more detail.

Peter Pedisich
02-15-2011, 5:22 PM
Ron,

I think the end boards did not allow the inner edge-glued panels to shrink as they wanted to, but so they split at the seam.
The ends should be glued in the center only to allow the main field to move.

Pete

Chris Padilla
02-15-2011, 5:46 PM
Here is your problem "...3 inch board on each end tounge and groove glued perpindicular to the others..."

Your construction choice does not allow the wood to exand and contract. Please let me know if you need more detail.

Yep. Your "breadboard" ends are locking the wood in place and it wants to move. A real breadboard end will allow the board to move with changes in moisture, which is what the heat registers are doing but likely at a more accelerated pace.