PDA

View Full Version : Incra LS - Any users?

Prashun Patel
02-25-2011, 9:47 AM
I'm thinking about the Incra LS router table joinery system. Lots of upgrades available, though. There's also the Original Jig.

Does anyone own any of these systems? Reviews?

keith micinski
02-25-2011, 10:00 AM
I have the LS super system with the wonder fence and to be honest with you I have a few complaints. The way that you square the fences up to the table top is to shim it as close as you can. As precision as everything else is on this fence why they made that adjustment that way I have no clue. Also when you slide the fence open or close for different bits you have to be careful when you tighten the two pieces back up that they stay square to the table. My single biggest complaint with the system though is the 90 degree sled. It doesn't have enough of a lip to grab to on the fence body and the nylon screws that adjust the slop on the fence are poorly designed. I cant describe how bad the sled is. I did some dovetail work with it and they turned out ok but I think if you were looking for mainly dovetails it would probably be better to get a dovetail jig. This having been said I love the repeatability of the fence. I love the fine adjustment nob. I really love the sliding scales making it really easy to have multiple repeatable stops. I bought mine used for 225 and am really happy at that price. If I would have had to pay full price for it I might have a different opinion. Having reread my post it sounds like I dislike the fence more then I like it but that is not the case. I do like the fence but I don't absolutely love it like I thought I would.

Prashun Patel
02-25-2011, 10:05 AM
That's great feedback, Keith. Thanks. I am looking for a good system that lets me build boxes quickly. There are three joints I'd like to be able to make quickly: box joints, locking rabbets, and dovetails. I think the Router table is the way to go. Just need a good fence system for it.

Brian Kincaid
02-25-2011, 10:24 AM
I have a 17" on my router table and the table saw version (32") on my saw table. For the router table I added a t-track running parallel with the fence to lock the fence down when it is in position. I mainly do rail/stile and molding type work on it. No experience with the joints you mentioned (I do dovetails on Leigh D4).

-Brian

Todd Bin
02-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Hey Brian, I don't want to hijack this thread but could you possibly post some pictures of the t-track modification you made. I also have the Incra on my router table and table saw. Love the table saw fence. I do also like the router table fence. I also think the right angle attachement could be better designed. Don't get me wrong, it works but I think it could/should work better.

The nice thing on the RT is that you can easily dial in your rabbet width or whatever. I will also add just like Brian that if you want to make nice decorative dovetails for a jewelry box then the incra jig is great. But if you wnat to make drawers or a blanket chest or dovetail case sides then this is not the ideal option. You will need some kind of "traditional" DT jig -- Leigh, Katie, PC Omni, etc.

~Todd

Homer Faucett
02-25-2011, 11:06 AM
I have the TS-LS system, but have not used it to its fullest capacity with my router table. I have not used it to do all the fancy double dovetails (although I hope to). I have not had a problem with setting up or squaring the jig. I love the repeatability, and it is much more rugged than many would lend you to believe. I had a T2 fence, Unifence, and a Bies fence for my previous saws, and this one is my favorite. If you can incorporate your router table into your table saw, I would go with the TS-LS.

As far as the Wonderfence and the right angle carriage, I did not buy those, as they seemed overpriced for what they were. When I start making boxes, I feel confident that I will be able to make a fence attachment that does the job as good or better than those attachments . . . but it will take some time to put one together.

I agree that the Incra system is the way to go if you want to do the decorative double dovetails, corner dovetails, and maybe even half-blind dovetails. However, if you'll only be doing through dovetails or even just fixed space half-blind dovetails, there are cheaper options out there.

I do have the Original Jig and right angle fixture. I watched the video, and then got a great deal on a TS-LS, so never took the Original Jig out of the box. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with it now (four years after the fact!). Sometimes I need to roll my eyes at myself!