PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Wood Gloat and tips please!

Keith E Byrd
05-05-2011, 8:08 PM
I spotted a bunch of logs on the side of the road and stopped to talk to the homeowner - long story short I ended up with six nice walnut logs!:D:D:D Now here is the trick - I have never turned walnut:confused: - can you all give me a few lessons learned to perhaps shorten my learning curve?
Thanks

Roger Chandler
05-05-2011, 8:09 PM
Watch out for walnut dust.......some people have allergic reactions to it. It can also cause respiratory issues, so use dust control!!!

Tim Thiebaut
05-05-2011, 8:16 PM
Yup, I have to agree with Roger on this...I am usualy very careful, I have my dust collection hose 2 inches from my work piece, but neglected to put on my dust mask 2 days ago, I dont know why lazy that day I guess, and the dust from sanding made me feel sick all night, well I really just started feeling real good this afternoon. So take precautions and dont forget the dustmask!

Dick Wilson
05-05-2011, 8:18 PM
Dang Keith, You are collecting more wood than I have;) Ya better start turning up a storm there my friend:D:D:D

John Hart
05-05-2011, 8:25 PM
Well...a few things. Walnut generally thrives in sandy soil, so there may be a high silicone content...meaning, it dulls turning tools and saw blades pretty quick. If it were me, I'd get those logs sealed up with anchorseal. I'd cut a fresh surface and seal real good and keep them out of the sun. Walnut has some dazzling figure at the crotches and other defects, so I'd get those sections cut out and sealed. Since you have some pretty round logs there, there will be some great candidates for end-grain NE forms...really nice ones...although, the pith comes into play and cracks are inevitable.

What I see is a whole lotta fun there!! Congratulations! :)

William Bachtel
05-05-2011, 8:34 PM
Walnut has one of the most friendly piths, I have turned.

Donny Lawson
05-05-2011, 8:45 PM
Walnut is a very good wood to turn and has some great color. I just wear a dust mask and it usually don't bother me.

David E Keller
05-05-2011, 9:00 PM
Pretty stuff! The dust gives me a headache if I'm careless about my dust collector.

I've had less issue with cracking with walnut than most of the other hardwoods I've turned green.

The only thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned... You may end up with purple fingers/hands after turning the wet stuff. It's not permanent, but I wouldn't make any important plans immediately after a long turning session.

Steve Schlumpf
05-05-2011, 9:10 PM
My very limited experience with Walnut is that it dulls your tools extremely fast! Other than that - can be a very pretty wood once finished. Also - be careful when disposing of the shavings as it is poisonous to some animals!

Dirk Hoogendoorn
05-05-2011, 9:52 PM
One thing I do know about the shavings from Black Walnut is that the chicken farmer that takes my shavings doesn't mind the Black Walnut, in his words "they haven't complained about it yet" but horses get some sort of lung issue from it.

Bernie Weishapl
05-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Love turning walnut. It is a extremely nice wood to turn. A respirator and dust control will help.

Baxter Smith
05-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Nice bunch of wood!

Mike Cruz
05-05-2011, 11:32 PM
I have to agree...the dust can hurt you sooooo badly. I'll be a good Creek friend and take all that nasty harmful evil wood off your hands. I'll save your lungs and eyes and skin. Just bring it over here and I'll swap it out with some harmless spalted maple...:D

curtis rosche
05-06-2011, 12:15 AM
i turned some super dry walnut, it would catch really bad and it broke a toolrest with a thick post. and it didnt turn well. i havent worked with dry walnut since then. green walnut is really nice

Kathy Marshall
05-06-2011, 1:25 AM
I'm gonna have to agree with Mike....get that stuff out of there before it infects your good wood :o I'll be more than happy to let you use my place as a waste dump!

ok, back to reality...walnut turns great green. I'm one of the lucky ones as walnut doesn't seem to have any effect on me except to stain my hands, but do take precautions until you know how you will react to it. Have fun!

Ron Rutter
05-06-2011, 1:29 AM
Butternut is apparently closely related to walnut. Does it pose the same hazards as walnut? Anyone? Curious as I pickup some up recently. It is nice to turn( green) and looks great. Thanks. Ron.

Dan Forman
05-06-2011, 3:20 AM
I love turning walnut, just have a hard time finding it. Get it sealed and out of the sun asap.

Dan

Richard Jones
05-06-2011, 3:51 AM
.......... You may end up with purple fingers/hands after turning the wet stuff. It's not permanent, but I wouldn't make any important plans immediately after a long turning session.

Ditto on the black/purple hand. I usually wear a glove on my left hand when roughing out stuff, and with walnut, I wear a surgical glove underneath that so I don't wind up with my hand and wrist all psychedelic.......

R