PDA

View Full Version : What wood?

Matt Meiser
02-07-2005, 4:08 PM
For their wedding gift, I have been asked to build a buffet to match my future sister-in-law's dining room table. My brother will be designing the buffet (he's an Industrial Design graduate from Kendall College of Art and Design) and sent me a couple of pictures so that I could see some details and what the wood is. I'm terrible at figuring out what kind of wood something is. Anyone else know? He and I are guessing mahogany. The table came from Pottery Barn, and I believe has been described as "dark hardwood."

Mark Singer
02-07-2005, 4:12 PM
Either Alder or Cocabola....I don't think they would use the second choice

Donnie Raines
02-07-2005, 4:15 PM
I was thinking Alder as well

Carl Eyman
02-07-2005, 4:33 PM
Any chance it is poplar? The grain pattern looks pretty bland to me, but then I don't know much about alder.

Pete Rosenbohm
02-07-2005, 5:55 PM
I agree with Carl looks like poplar, they do creative finishing jobs on there furniture using cheaper woods.:)

David Fried
02-07-2005, 6:56 PM
Of course it would be too easy for the table to still be shown on Pottery Barn's web site. There is a table that appears to be the same color. Here is part of the description.

"The solid-alder trestle base is ...."
and
"The table features our exclusive Sun Valley finish in Mahogany stain."

I think the Alder/Mahogany guesses may be right on. Good eyes!

Dave Fried

Carl Eyman
02-07-2005, 7:39 PM
If it is a wood other than it is made to look like, what difference does it make what it is so long as you can fake it as well as the other guy?

Matt Meiser
02-07-2005, 8:05 PM
If it is a wood other than it is made to look like, what difference does it make what it is so long as you can fake it as well as the other guy?

Good point!

Matt Meiser
02-07-2005, 8:12 PM
"The table features our exclusive Sun Valley finish in Mahogany stain."

One of my brothers lives on Sun Valley Ct. Does this mean I need to take mahogany stain and alder wood to his house to achieve the same finish??? :)

Jeff Sudmeier
02-08-2005, 8:14 AM
Matt, nah not to his house, just to his driveway. The sun patterns there help to tone the wood just right!!! :)