PDA

View Full Version : Mini gloat/ recommendation

Scott Lux
06-10-2011, 5:52 PM
Went to my local bookstore (support your local independent bookstore) to see if they had the newest copy of American Woodturner. It seems I've still got the most recent issue. But right in front of it, was a book on turning. I picked it up, and I was hooked.

The Art of Turned Bowls, by Richard Raffen. If you, like me, are starting to explore form, this is the book for you. Excellent diagrams, and good explanations, this thing is a winner.

I do think it was unfair of the bookstore to put it right where they know I am going to see it. What kind of chance does that give me?

David E Keller
06-10-2011, 5:56 PM
I've got that one, and I agree that it's a great book. It's full of pictures(I like books with pictures), and I think it's very well written. You didn't have a chance with that kind of product placement...

Ken Fitzgerald
06-10-2011, 5:59 PM
I don't have that one but I have several Raffen vidos. He's a great teacher IMHO.

David Warkentin
06-10-2011, 7:08 PM
i've got it too. Great book. If you don't have it, you should buy it;)

Steve Schlumpf
06-10-2011, 7:51 PM
I have one of his videos but understand the book goes into greater detail when it comes to understanding form. May have to look around and find a copy of it!

Harry Robinette
06-10-2011, 9:16 PM
I have I believe all of Richards books and will be seeing him in OCT. Also you should check out David Ellsworths book I been reading it and it makes allot of stuff much clearer.

philip labre
06-10-2011, 9:44 PM
I have this book also, and agree it is a great book on form. Steve, your welcome to borrow it if you'd like.