PDA

View Full Version : how long are your bandsaw fence rails?

matt tennessen
07-06-2011, 9:41 AM
I recently got my first bandsaw: 14", 1.5hp, no fence. Over the weekend I purchased some tools from a guy and he was nice enough to throw a Mule bandsaw fence in for an extra $10. The fence rail is 24" and I've used this brand before, I can pretty much mount it wherever I want.
When I see pics of other setups, some fence systems have long rails that extend well beyond the right end of the table. What is the benefit of this? I expect my bandsaw use to remain more conventional, so I'm keeping my tablesaw. thanks.

Cary Falk
07-06-2011, 9:51 AM
A beveled rip is easier to do on the right of the blade due to gravity. If the beveled rip is narrow enough it might interfere with the height of the fence if attempted on the left. Anything sticking out past the table has a tendency to jump out and stab me as I walk past it.

matt tennessen
07-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks cory, I just got to the shop, read your response and slapped my forehead. Of course the table tilts... Duh. Why is it the obvious things always seem to elude us? I, too, am routinely attacked by protrubrences in my shop and would've thought I was very clever trimming those fence rails short... Until that first bevel of course.

glenn bradley
07-06-2011, 3:39 PM
+1 on Cary's comments about gravity being your friend. I don't do much bevel work on the BS but, my factory rails extend about 9" past the blade as does the table.

Josiah Bartlett
07-07-2011, 5:51 PM
I think mine is 36"- I have a 16" Walker-Turner BS with original T square fence, and the rail runs from the inner edge of the inside of the table out to the right about a foot, and I think the table is about 24x24 if I remember right. My fence rail is a piece of rectangular bar stock and it attaches to the table with studs and wing nuts (the blade-change groove on the table is facing the teeth), so I just remove it when I'm not using it.