PDA

View Full Version : Any way to use figured veneer with pen turning?

dirk martin
09-21-2011, 2:40 AM
I've got some very figured walnut burl veneer.
I'd love to have a pen made from it.
I thought about gluing up several layers to get to a 3/4" blank, but I think the glue between layers will be distracting.

I thought about using veneer softener, to wrap or roll it tight, but I doubt I can roll it tight enough to not have any gaps.

Any ideas?

Marty Eargle
09-21-2011, 2:49 AM
Dirk, I don't know much about veneer so I can't comment on wrapping it in any way. But, I do know that in the past I have used the darker version of Titebond II wood glue when gluing walnut. It is much less noticeable than regular yellow glue. Maybe worth looking into if you plan on making a few blanks.

Marty Eargle
09-21-2011, 2:54 AM
Also, someone with more experience may have to back me up, but I believe that certain dyes can be added to glues like Titebond without in effects on their integrity. So, if you dyes to make a darker brown, you could add it to regular yellow glue without having to make any unnecessary purchases.

Dan Hintz
09-21-2011, 6:24 AM
Or just make the glue work for you instead of against... give it a contrasting color, like deep red, and make it a feature.

Jim Underwood
09-21-2011, 9:45 AM
Miter/slice it into strips and glue them on the tube?

Lot's of laser guys out there making special veneered stuff for pens...

Chris Burgess
09-21-2011, 1:28 PM
I would think sticking it to the tube would be the way to go but I would still worry about seems if you cut it. Also if you laminate it you will not see the figure. Maybe if you could get i to roll around the tube and clear cast over it.

James Combs
09-21-2011, 3:41 PM
I would think sticking it to the tube would be the way to go but I would still worry about seems if you cut it. Also if you laminate it you will not see the figure. Maybe if you could get i to roll around the tube and clear cast over it.

If I were going to try something I think I would try what Chris says.

Jim Burr
09-21-2011, 4:06 PM
I'd go thin thin...like 1/128 and wrap it around the tube. But...you're going to have a big glue line and color differences from gluing to the tube and variance in the ability to bend it based on grain patterns. I have some amazing!!! sheets of veneer that I may have to try that with.

P.S. I just tried to wrap one that is o.o25 on a Sierra tube and it was way to thick...I'd thought about soaking it in glycerine, but wet and glue haven't worked well in the past:(